Recessed lighting wiring across joists

I'm looking for the magical solution which will allow me to wire my recessed lights across joists without having to tear up the drywall in the process (for drilling the holes in the joists). Please give me the instructions for this magical solution so I can install the lighting that my wife is asking for...

(its the 1st floor of a 2 floor house, no topside access).

Reply to
nsf

Well, you have to make holes for the recessed lights anyway, right? If you're putting the cans every 3rd bay, you should be able to drill holes through the joists using one of those 48" flexible-shaft bits from where the cans go.

Reply to
Goedjn

Depending on how far apart you want the cans, you may be able to pull it off. Search for "flexible drill bit". Several manufacturers make them. You would cut a hole for the first can, then use this through the hole to drill through the joists to get to the next hole. You can get through 2 or 3 pretty easily, and if you work from both sides you can manage spacings of 4-6 joists with some fair amount of fussing to feed the wires.

Use remodeling cans, which let you stuff all the works through the round hole you make for the housing. You wire them while they are hanging out, then stuff everything up through the hole and snap in the trim.

Just be careful you don't drill through something important, like another wire, pipe or heating duct. Avoiding (and locating) that kind of stuff is often the hardest part of the job.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

I can't imagine a safe way to do it.

Drill through a wire or a duct and your probems have increased - if you're still alive.

Do you have crown moulding in the room? If so you could remove it and a little drywall to access between each joist.

Reply to
Hogwild