recessed lighting? no thank you

Page 2 of 3

That is only true for non-IC (Insulated Ceiling) rated recessed lights
Brad in Bend OR
'few would cut a hole in their ceilings to allow air flow from the attic to enter the house'
I sure am glad that big 'ol hole for the attic fan only lets air go one way!
Some guy with a microscope says 70% of our indoor household dust is made up of human body dander and lint's from our clothes, furniture, etc.... ever wonder what that other 30% of the dust is made out of.
On 1/26/2005 2:36 PM US(ET), bumtracks took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Cat dander!
--
Bill

This is what Jeeves says:
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/dec98/912530774.En.r.html
And, in a strange twist, this same article also explains Effi's disease.

household dust can be gathered and sent to a laboratory for testing
tests can reveal the presence of fiberglass, lead, etc.
fiberglass in household dust makes the dust look shiny when lit (by sunlight etc.)
a majority of homes have at least traces of fiberglass

You claim that fiberglas dust is carcinogenic. Prove it. I've not yet seen any proof of it. Nor have the regulatory agencies. If it were proven, you would see companies like Owens Corning or Johns Mansfield disintegrating rapidly (like the asbestos industry did), yet they have not.
Until we actually know that fiberglas dust is carcinogenic, please refrain from spreading rumors.

Let me tell you a dirty (bad pun) little secret. The rest of the house is not 100% air tight either. And that's a good thing, otherwise you would suffocate, and the humidity would ruin the house. Examples: Every electrical outlet and switch is not airtight. If the walls are stuffed with fiberglas (as they usually are for exterior walls, sometimes also for interior walls), you have little leaks right there, and some fiberglas dust will come in. Same with ceiling light fixture outlets (which will usually be in contact with the fiberglas insulation in the attic). Same with little cracks around each window or door. Not to mention nail holes: If you hang a picture, and then remove it and leave a little nail hole behind, there is another leak. Your water heater is insulated, quite possibly with a fiberglas blanket, and its outer shell isn't airtight either.
Clearly, fiberglas dust is not to be taken lightly. Putting a sensible amount of effort into sealing it is a good idea.
If you feel strongly that you want to live without any fiberglas, then please move to a house that is insulated without fiberglas. In the meantime, spreading paranoia and annoying others is not useful.
--
The address in the header is invalid for obvious reasons. Please
reconstruct the address from the information below (look for _).

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Damn effi, you really are a cold, dried up, scared of cancer and light bulb old hag after all, aren't you?
Jeezy Weezy.

It has been proven, but only in the Republik of Kalifornia. We get equipment all the time with warnings on it that state sonething like "This equipment contains fiberglass insulation which has been proven to cause cancer in the state of California". Apparently the combination of the fiberglass and being in California must be a problem! ;-) Greg
On 1/26/2005 7:12 PM US(ET), Greg O took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Ah. Yes! The Granola State!
Bill

it's not just in california, it's everywhere
a little history on known health problems with fiberglass and the use of experts to boost profits at the expense of people's health [nothing new], from http://www.monitor.net/rachel/r444.html
"A CARCINOGEN THAT'S EVERYWHERE
An industrial process for making glass fibers was first patented in Russia in 1840.[1, pg.292] At the Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1893, Edward Libbey, an American, exhibited lamp shades, a dress, and other articles woven from glass fibers. In 1915, the Allied Forces blockaded Germany, creating an asbestos shortage which resulted in commercial production of fiber glass in the U.S., as an asbestos substitute. (Asbestos is a naturally-occurring fibrous material that can be woven into cloth, does not burn readily, has excellent properties for thermal insulation, and therefore came into commercial use during this century.[2, pgs.390-392] Fiber glass has many of the same characteristics as asbestos.)
In 1938, the Owens Corning Fiberglas Company was formed, and three years later, in 1941, evidence of pulmonary [lung] disease was reported by Walter J. Siebert, who investigated the health of workers in cooperation with Owens Corning.[1, pg.292] That same year another investigator reported finding "no hazard to the lungs" of workers exposed to glass fibers in the air. Scientific disagreement of this sort has characterized the study of fiber glass ever since; meanwhile fiber glass production has increased steadily."
some are turning to wool now as a health conscious residential insulator

Just reading this one "homemade" page, I am quite sure it is inherently dangerous to drink from a "glass" made of glass........... I also wonder how we have tolerated eyeglasses as long as we have..............Lord the damage is bound to be un-manageable. Glass Jewelry, glass eyes, glass windows, glass..........fibrous or not, is still just that.........glass. Most commonly used to prevent ilness and transfer of disease in hospitals................might be just a bunch of hooplah......I'm not sure now that I have read Rachels Page on Fiber glass.
With invention comes risk. Kinda like waking up in the morning. There's no guarantee that we will be safe from breathing the availble "air" or touching anything that we may come in contact with......... I'm scared of people who are scared of all these "things".
Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB
effi wrote:

The carcinogenic nature of fiberglass insulation is debatable. At most it is slight for those who work with it on regular bases. That comes from someone who has been fighting cancer for over 30 years and 30 years ago was told I had a 10% chance of making it 5 years. Don't over do it. Worry about the real stuff, not the minimal issues. Consider how many people die from sun or tobacco exposure compared to those who may have died of fiberglass exposure. My issue was sun exposure and I avoid it, but I don't stop my life because of it. I still enjoy rowing, running, bike riding etc.
Now if you want to put me on your "stick your fingers in your ears" list, go ahead. It won't hurt me.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

anything is debatable
google what germany and calfornia (and perhaps others) have to say on the issue

http://www.drhuldaclark.org/therapy_68b.asp "Most solid malignant tumors contain fiberglass or asbestos, another glass-like particle."
www.dictionary.com malignant Pathology. 1.. Threatening to life; virulent: a malignant disease. 2.. Tending to metastasize; cancerous. Used of a tumor.

got a copy of this? (Amazon.com product link shortened)

health is not a minimal issue

http://www.drhuldaclark.org/therapy_68b.asp "Most solid malignant tumors contain fiberglass or asbestos, another glass-like particle." (repetitively)

you conduct yourself as a gentleman, no reason to

missed one point, addressed below
(snipped)

"in 1990 Dr. Clark discovered the true cause of cancer. The cause is a certain parasite, for which I have found evidence in every cancer case regardless of the type of cancer. So lung cancer is not caused by smoking" (Amazon.com product link shortened)
On 1/26/2005 4:38 PM US(ET), effi took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Oh, thanks, effi. I was concerned about my pipe smoking and the occasional cigarette I borrow from my wife (not really borrow, since I am the only means of support in my household). Would drinking chlorine kill that bacteria?
--
Bill

let's assume you meant "kill that parasite"
google "dr. hulda clark parasite kill"