Recessed Lighting

Along the lines of another question previously asked, I want to update our recessed lighting the cheapest way possible--paint! The outside ring is white and the inside of the lighting is gold. We would either like to paint the inside white (can't stand gold) or paint the ring and the inside the same color as we have our ceiling painted (we aren't sure of a color yet).

My first question is do I need to use a special paint on the inside, and if so what? I'm assuming I do since it probably gets pretty hot in there but I wanted to ask.

I realize the ring doesn't require special paint but can I just go ahead and use the same paint I would use for the inside?

The second question is how should we go about painting them successfully with the least amount of work. Our ceiling is 22 feet high so when the painters come in to paint he ceiling we are going to ask them to paint the lighting. I'm not sure they have any experience with the lighting so I wanted to ask to make sure we do it right. As it is now we can't get up that high to do it ourselves so they will be changing out light bulbs for us as well.

Thanks for any help!

Reply to
rdkaufmann

If it were an electrician doing it, I would say to remove the trims and paint them on the ground. Depending upon the make and model, the interior baffle may snap out of the fixture. If it does, I would have the painter remove them and paint them on the ground with high temperature white paint, then screw a small bulb in the socket and spray paint the other parts in place on the ceiling. When the painted baffles are dry, snap them back in

Reply to
RBM

Ive dont it for years with the ceiling paint and they dont fail, I would not remove them just loosen them down, this guy is making a big deal over something simple pro painter do every day, and dont need a HO bugging them on "whats Right"

Reply to
ransley

Ive dont it for years with the ceiling paint and they dont fail, I would not remove them just loosen them down, this guy is making a big deal over something simple pro painter do every day, and dont need a HO bugging them on "whats Right"

I don't recall ever seeing a "Professional house painter" paint ceiling trims properly. They should be sprayed with the color of your choice. I usually see the painters paint over them with a brush and house paint and as they age the brush strokes become more visible. Perhaps at 22' it won't matter as much. There is such a thing as high heat spray paint, but I don't know of all the color choices available besides black and white.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Your not a painting pro.

Reply to