Recessed light white trim yellowed

Ten years ago I had 4" Halo recessed fixtures installed in my kitchen. The trim kits are part #993W, featuring a white Coilex baffle and white metal trim ring. I've used 55W halogen PARs in these fixtures.

The metal trim ring has yellowed significantly in comparison to both the interior Coilex and my freshly painted white ceiling. Halo replacements are out of my budget ($30+/- each and I need 9), especially if I'm only going to get ten years out of them before they're yellowed again. Reflector styles are a bit cheaper ($25) but I still have the white trim issue. (Thought maybe these would throw more light and I could get away with a lesser wattage, too?) There are some other brands out there that are under $10 each but I'm uncertain about compatibility with the Halo fixture.

I've considered painting the metal trim rings but am concerned paint would not withstand the heat well.

Anybody else ever dealt with this issue? Is it just to be expected?

Thanks. ~Jacy

Reply to
jacy

Clean them up, but a can of spray paint and paint them. The factory didn't use special paint on them and trim rings really don't heat up very much.

Reply to
George

We've repainted the same rings outdoors, which are about 40 y/o. I used Rustoleum gloss enamel to repaint equally old range hood a couple of years ago - looks brand new. Preval sprayers are nice for small jobs and do better job than spray cans, IMO. The rings are below the light, so shouldn't be very warm.

Reply to
Norminn

I would sand them down lightly and use high temperature white paint. I've done it with Lightolier 1105 trims, where the lamps are closer to the baffle than on a Halo 993, and it's held up fine

Reply to
RBM

I painted white 4" cans and rings maybe 8 years ago with just flat latex ben moore, I use the small 55w halogens and nothings has happened. On mine there is maybe 1" airspace but even steam radiators I use latex on. Id say wash and paint with the ceiling paint

Reply to
ransley

I install the H99's with the 993 trim occasionally. Try going to an electrical supply house. They may give you a good deal for nine. I think Home Depot has them cheaper than $30.00 a piece. There are much cheaper trims out there, however I don't use them as they tend to yellow greater and faster then the real McCoy.

As RBM suggested an alternative would be high heat paint. The halogen bulbs produce a lot of heat.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Thanks to all for the replies. It was exactly what I was hoping to hear. I think I'll try first with my ceiling paint as it'll give me the best match.

~Jacy

Reply to
jacy

replying to jacy, Patricia wrote: Jacy, how did the cans and rings do when you painted them with the ceiling paint? Did they yellow again? Did you sand them all or just paint them?

Reply to
Patricia

I doubt the poster is waiting here ten years later to respond. If the trim pieces come off easily, which they usually do, I would remove them and spray paint them with a low luster white, probably flat or less than semi-gloss, certainly no more than semi-gloss. If you're using LEDs now, they won't yellow from heat. Make sure they are clean, you don't need to sand.

Reply to
trader_4

replying to jacy, NancyR wrote: So this is where a woman's input is very valuable. Nail polish remover has worked ever time for me. It cleans scuff marks off shoes and yellowed rims of recessed lights. Incredible that we put this caustic fliud on our hands.

Reply to
NancyR

It's generally acetone, a volatile hydrocarbon, but it is _NOT_ caustic.

Reply to
dpb

In general use the word may be used (incorrectly) as a synonym for corrosive, but chemically caustic refers only to strong bases, particularly alkalis.

As stuff goes, it's actually pretty benign being a mild skin irritant, more so eyes, mucus membranes.

Actually not harmful by ingestion other than irritant as above, not known to be carcinogenic nor to be mutagen or even reproductive hazard.

Most serious danger is probably the high flammability.

Reply to
dpb

replying to dpb, Skip wrote: dpb, you sound like a benign irritant yourself...as Nancy R was trying to be helpful to the post, about yellowing can lights, not the chemical makeup of nail polish remover, or the appropriate use of a descriptive term.

Reply to
Skip

replying to trader_4, Gabrielle wrote: The surround is metal, not plastic, and nail polish remover did remove most of the yellow.

Reply to
Gabrielle

replying to NancyR, Gabrielle wrote: Thanks, this worked and is much easier than painting!

Reply to
Gabrielle

replying to NancyR, Nina wrote: Thanks so much for sharing that Nancy !!! Such a helpful tip. Mine are metal so I will give that a try. Much easier than painting.

Reply to
Nina