Receptacles lying flat on surface?

I was in my dentist's waiting room this morning and I noticed something that I'm wondering about.
The exterior wall has ceiling to *almost* floor windows. There is a wooden ledge at the bottom, about 4" high and 8" wide.
Installed in this ledge is a duplex outlet, lying flat on the top surface, facing up towards the ceiling. In other words, in such a position that items could be dropped/poured into the receptacle.
Is that allowed by code?
On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 12:11:03 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

I see floor outlets here.
Sample:
http://www.ttbservices.com/images/Img11.jpg

The ledge changes things, so I am not 100% on this, but floor outlets are allowed and they just need covers. http://www.aplussupply.com/lew-floor-boxes/floor-boxes.htm I could see that an upward facing standard duplex receptacle would be shot down by an inspector, and generally a bad idea.
Ask the dentist if he had the place renovated and if it was inspected - if so, it's code...or the building inspector's idea of code, which is not necessarily the same thing.

The ledge changes things, so I am not 100% on this, but floor outlets are allowed and they just need covers. http://www.aplussupply.com/lew-floor-boxes/floor-boxes.htm I could see that an upward facing standard duplex receptacle would be shot down by an inspector, and generally a bad idea.
Ask the dentist if he had the place renovated and if it was inspected - if so, it's code...or the building inspector's idea of code, which is not necessarily the same thing.
In addition to that .....ask the dentist "After" he's finished drilling your teeth...no before...LOL
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Sure. Also outlets in the ceiling. Even outlets with the ground plug on the bottom!

It's Ok, except in a counter top.

When does a wide window sill become a counter top? 8" is pretty wide, people would put plants on it and water them, anything on the ledge could fall in, if the window were open a bit rain could hit it. Whether it's code or not, I think it's a sketchy thing to do with an uncovered receptacle.

When does a wide window sill become a counter top? 8" is pretty wide, people would put plants on it and water them, anything on the ledge could fall in, if the window were open a bit rain could hit it. Whether it's code or not, I think it's a sketchy thing to do with an uncovered receptacle.
Nec 406.4E, states that they can't be face up in "countertops and similar work surfaces in dwelling units". It doesn't mention Dentists offices, even in countertops. IMO, any floor receptacle is vulnerable to spills, so I would use good judgment in placing them
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Hi, Why not in our church, there are quite a few here and there. In some offices I see them.
My last house had a receptacle on the floor of the living room. It was close to a corner, so I'm guessing it had to do with a former large console TV set.
I had the carpeting replaced when I was selling the house. I wasn't home, and when I went to inspect the job, I discovered that the carpet layers had covered right over the receptacle! I called the company and told them I thought that might be an unpleasant surprise if the next owner decided to shampoo that area of the carpet! So they did come and fix it.
I never thought about if it was code or not, and it passed 2 different home inspections, for whatever that was worth.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Lee B wrote:

IIRC, not allowed in wet areas, but was allowed when needed in large open areas in other rooms. Sometimes placed in expected couch position in large living rooms, if there is a walkway behind the spot. Much more common in commercial space, and sometimes covered with removable screw-in plugs. Haven't seen any in new work in many years.
-- aem sends...
Lee B wrote:

A floor outlet is a different case. Requires a $pecial box and cover. The cover has closures for when the receptacle is not in use and you can walk on it.
--
bud--