Receptacle on kitchen peninsula

Hi,

I think I asked a question here once before with great results. We are installing a peninsula in our kitchen and it will have the required receptacle where it meets the wall but I see now that I need one elsewhere on the peninsula. The peninsula will be totally flat granite and I am wondering what my options are for adding a receptacle without cutting into the granite and building up an unsightly box. At the far end there would be a place to put the receptacle "under" the granite but I'm wondering what is required when doing this? How much can the lip of the granite be to be acceptable if at all or if there is another solution.

Thanks in advance,

David

Reply to
dummy

can you put it in the end of whatever is holding up the granite? what about gluing a surface mount box to the underside of the granite (using epoxy, for example)?

Reply to
charlie

Don't really follow the geometry you're trying to describe (amongst other things, are you talking of the peninsula surface, the support or where do you want the outlet?), but I think you have one of basically three choices --

  1. Surface mount
  2. Through mount
  3. Build a chase

Of those, 2) or 3) will probably be offer the highest alternatives of making something reasonably attractive. If it is on the surface you want the outlet, the possibility of using a floor flush-mount might be an alternative, but if it's a food preparation surface or possibly a wet surface, that might not be real smart from a collection of debris/ water standpoint...

Reply to
dpb

If the peninsula where attached to the wall is greater than 12 inches and the long side is 24 inches or greater, you need at least one receptacle. You can have a receptacle no more than 12 inches below the counter top in locations where the counter top does not extend beyond its supporting cabinet more than 6 inches

Reply to
RBM