Rec Room Dance Floor

I want to put an 8'x8' wood dance floor in my FROG (family room over garage), it is carpeted.
Initial thought was laminate over a couple of 4x8's of some sheet good. Would hope to let the entire thing float, as in leave the carpet intact. Has this wheel been invented already?
How do I join the sheet goods together? Is laminate a good surface for Tap Dance practice? The studio where my wife and daughter attend uses a type of 4x8 sheet good with a caulking in the joints.
Any input will be appreciated
Thanks Frank