Rebuilding deck in spring, questions.

My current deck is pretty small and I want to extend it out from the house about 10 feet and reposition the stairs. Do I need to have an architect or engineer check it out first or can I start pouring the footings and just begin?
May need to pull permit. Check with your local county or city dept regarding decks. Follow the codes as far as the construction goes. 5/4 deck boards require 16" OC and are more expensive than the 2 x 6 boards which can use 24" OC. Keep in mind height is also an issue as far as railing / baluster and stair tread.
My current deck is pretty small and I want to extend it out from the house about 10 feet and reposition the stairs. Do I need to have an architect or engineer check it out first or can I start pouring the footings and just begin?

You may need a permit. To get a permit you may need a drawing showing the location. You can do that yourself. Call the town hall for that information.
Buy a book on building decks and you can get all the information you need for construction.

Locally, a deck more than 100 square feet in size or more than three feet off the ground needs a permit, and that requires plans that meet code. More than six feet off the ground requires an engineer's or architect's stamp, though locally the lumber yards will do engineered drawings for your deck, often at little or no charge.
Jeff