Rebar U

I want to bend a 4' piece of rebar into a nice gentle curve to hold a 4" OD pipe in place. I've read about the pipe trick for bending, but how gentle will the curve be? I don't want any pointy bits.

Reply to
Bill Stock

Then find something 4" diameter to bend it around. Look for a steel pipe that that they use to keep cars from smashing into things in parking lots. Lou

Reply to
Lou

One of those big weed burning propane torches that you use with the standard gas grill tanks will heat the rebar cherry red in a few minutes and it can then be formed over a mandrel as neat as you please. Harbor Freight has the torches for under $20 IIRC, as do a lot of farm supply stores. A MAPP gas plumber's torch would also work very well and an acetylene torch would be quickest of all. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Got a Blacksmith nearby?

Does it have to be rebar? I mean a strap would hold a pipe. My solar pipes for the pool are 2", running up to the roof. The installer used something - looks like a "J" but does not completely surround the pipe.

What is this 4" OD pipe for and how much to support?

-- Oren

Hofstadter's Law - It [a task] always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Reply to
Oren

Rebar is soft and you could easily do that with a conduit bender. I hope you are talking about 4" plastic pipe because the weight of metal pipe would straighten out the bend.

Reply to
George

Yes it's PVC. Support medium is dirt, hence the rebar (for those that asked).

Reply to
Bill Stock