Rebar question

Can anyone tell me how to use one of those "tie wire twister" tools. A link or a description? I have the manual one not the automatic type.

Also, does it matter what type of wire is used? I've used copper in the past when I was desperate. Is it a type of galvanized wire and does it have a coating on it?

Thanks.

Reply to
raymondj

the wire twister are used like this on pre formed wires... they are about 6 inches long and have the ends twisted in to a circle on each end.. you take the pointed end of the tool and catch each circle and then you twist the handle and it will turn with you twisting it and that is how it works.. oh yes first you have to place it over the rebar..... Unless you are doing cement work for a living i find them useless.. i did a pour on my other garage/sererated from the house and did not need one and never bought the preformed wires.. they come in a bundle for a couple of bucks at ACE hardware... they also sell the rolls of wire that i bought and cut and twisted by hand.....

Reply to
jim

How many do you get in a bundle for that price?

John Sloan

Reply to
John Sloan

The pros use regular mechanics wire and linesman pliers. The twisters are too slo for them. If it is a small job use the pliers it isn't that hard. It doesnt do anything but hold the rebar in place for the pour it has no structural value. The preformed wire for the spinners comes in huge quanities and is more then likely way more then you need.

Reply to
Randd01

Reply to
raymondj

I see what you mean about them being useless. I tried a few of them. I always end up twisting off the two loops. Unless that's what you are supposed to do?

Reply to
raymondj

Your spinning for too long they dont have to be that tight.

Reply to
Randd01