reasons Not to carry Gas Can in vehichle?

Page 4 of 4
On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 09:22:41 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

    In Brazil, you have to pay a 10 dollar bribe to every policeman that catches you with fuel containers in the car. It's illegal here. On a long journey that adds up to quite a lot. So that would be a reason.     So, if in Brazil, don't, unless you get a gas allowance as part of your pay.     []'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

That's an interesting way to put it. It's illegal to carry gas cans in a vehicle, but it's OK to bribe the police. I get what you are saying, it just sounds funny.

Why? How often are driver's pulled over/inspected while driving in Brazil? Drivers would have to get pulled over "quite a lot" for it to add up to "quite a lot". You make it sound like a certainty.

Wouldn't that be a "bribe allowance" not a "gas allowance"?
On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 15:41:21 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

    Make that "had to pay". I was remembering from the past, when I traveled a lot.

    Policemen here made as little as 100 dollars a month. They just treated it as extra income. That was >10 years ago, I've since retired, and I'm sure bribes would be much more expensive now, if feasible. I can still pick up half-price alcohol at the local distillery though, and store that at home. I usually can't be bothered. Our cars are dual-fueled. You mix gasoline and alcohol and the onboard sensors works out ignition times etc.

    Well, there were so may containers that they were not difficult to see. 3-4 stops every 1000 kilometers maybe ?

    No, I and my wife each had 8 liters a workday of gasoline as "travel help", which was much more than I could use so I'd keep it in 10 gallon containers for when I traveled. I had to fill up at one gas station, whoever got the contract that year. That adds up to over 90 gallons a month. I never did get to use my quota.     []'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
back in the late 70s early 80s I serviced DITTO machines for a living and carried a gallon can of ditto fluid in my car for cleaning machines. It had a little acetone mixed in. was mostly methyl alcohol
One day I ran out of gas:( added a small amount of cleaner to my gas tank, went a mile and filled up my 25 gallon tank with gasoline. Had no problems at all but made the mistake of telling my boss about it.:(
He ran out of gas adeded a couple gallons of that methyl alcohol and had to get towed in and have his carb rebuilt and a lot of other work he blamed me and told others.
every year at christmas they would give me a bill for one gallon of fluid 6 bucks.... a gag gift
within a few years WG Johnston company in pittsburgh closed. it was a good place to work:)
On 2/27/2014 4:04 PM, bob haller wrote:

I've heard that many small engines (lawn mowers, etc) don't tolerate ethanol very well. I can imagine that a couple gals of methanol could really make a mess out of auto.
You did good to tank up and dilute it as soon as possible.
I've heard of using paint thinner for fuel in emergency.
--
.
Christopher A. Young