reasons Not to carry Gas Can in vehichle?

Page 1 of 4
I've had my low fuel light come on more often recently, because of changed driving habits.
Are there any [good] reasons Not to carry a gas can in the trunk, all the time?
marc

fire hazard. Or that you can use your AAA benefit to have someone bring gasoline to you.
The "no good reason" responders think it's rough to run out of gas.
The "big picture" responders will remind you to fuel up on schedule, and keep your tank full.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I don't have AAA or anything like it. I think my car insurance does pay part of my towing but the one time I tried that, ..... I'll save that for later, but it was bad.

I've run out of gas about 17 times. I came in second in a national contest for people who have run out of gas. First prize was an all-expense paid vacation for 2 to Las Vegas, where I would have been in some forum or stage presentation of some sort. But I lost. The guy called me personally to tell me.
Surprisingly, I was never seriously inconvenienced by running out of gas, even in rural areas. Only once did it take more than 10 minutes to get more gas, and that time, a woman stopped after about 2 minutes and she went and got the gas for us, so all we had to do is wait. It might have taken her 15 minutes.

On 2/26/2014 1:28 PM, micky wrote:

Now days, fuel pumps are in the tank. They are cooled by the fuel around. Running out, leads to fuel pump over heat and damage.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 02/26/2014 12:28 PM, micky wrote:

I've only run out of gas a couple of times.
The first time I was on top of a hill and there was a gas station at the bottom...so I just coasted in.
The other time, I was in college on the way to a final exam and ran out. I was in a panic so I flagged down a cab and directed him to the nearest station I could think of. When we got there, it was being torn down.
Eventually I got to the exam and only ten minutes late. Because I did not have time to get there early and try to cram...I did not have the extreme anxiety I usually had at exam time and ended up doing very well!
After that I always got to my exams just a couple minutes late and found from then on I did better.

That's good.

Wow. Your bad luck day.

LOL

ROTFLOLWTIME.
Still laughing.

The only time I ran out of gas was while I was waiting in line to buy gas.
During the "$5 worth every other day" gas crisis I was living in NYC. I was driving my girlfriend's car and we waiting in a long line for gas. When we were about 10 cars from the pump, we ran out of gas. As the line moved forward, we pushed the car, one car length at a time, toward the pump. When we were 3 cars from the pump, the attendant put up the dreaded "Out Of Gas" sign and started waving a bunch of pissed off drivers out of line saying there was no more gas.
I walked over to the other attendant and asked him what we should do...we couldn't go anywhere since our car was out of gas. He said "Look, it's Friday night and almost midnight. If we don't close up, this line will be here all night and we'll never get to go out. Wait until everyone leaves and we turn the lights off, then push your car up to the pump."
We followed his instructions and when he came over he asked how much gas we wanted. I hesitantly said "Fill her up?" and he said "Sure". It was the first time we had a full tank in months. I paid him, tipped him, and we all drove off to enjoy our Friday night.
On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 02:00:54 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

If it was during the shortage and the bad rules, I don't think we can attibute this to irresponsibility.

Great story. I was living near downtown Brooklyn then, and didn't drive much, but did want gas in my tank, and for some reason I was out in Canarsie, pretty far from home, and I found a station with only 5 or 6 people in line at each pump. I waited in line, got my $5 I guess, and then got back in line for more. But everyone yelled at me so I left.
Instead of having a 5 dollar maximum, they should have a 20 or 30 dollar minimum. (or a different maxium for different kinds of cars and trucks.) Then people won't go looking for gas until they need 30 dollars worth, or they'll have to pay 30 dollars for 10 or 25 dollars wortth of gas. Either way, there won't be long lines.

Huh? Let's run with a $20 minimum. A gallon of gas in 1974 was about $0.55. To spend $20, you'd need a 36 gallon tank. $30 means a 54 gallon tank. What the heck were you driving back then?
On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 20:59:38 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

I adjusted the minimums for now.

I'm wondering what year. It was around 1978 I drove my datsun cross country from ca. To near DC. I was going to a NASA school. A month later I was returning. Everything was good to go. I'm nearing las Vegas wondering if I should stop. It was uncertain if I old make another 130 miles to Barstow. I pull in and waste a couple hours looking for gas. There was a gas shortage in Vegas. I don't remember if I found any. After that day the gas shortage spread everywhere. That really limited my end year in ca.. I could go to vegas and back, plus driving around Vegas, on one tank. The Z had a 17 gallon tank.
Oh. That's the car I ran out of gas in Pittsburgh, 200 feet from my home.
Greg
thanks all,
I was concerned about the fumes in an empty can...
But, I can just buy a brand new [$5?] unused can, and no worry about fumes. I won't be used anyway - hopefully.
marc

If there are fumes in the can, then it's not empty.
How much dirt is in a hole 12” x 12" x 12"?

On Friday, February 28, 2014 4:01:53 PM UTC-8, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Never took the cap off a can that has had gas in it and taken a sniff? Technically you are correct, in practice the can was empty.

Usually a small amount in the bottom as it is difficult to get a clean bottom in a dirt hole.
Harry K

Technically is all that really counts.

Per DerbyDad03:

If there's dirt in it, it wouldn't be a hole - right?
--
Pete Cresswell

Please don't answer a question with a question.
On 03/01/2014 01:48 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

You could fill the hole with dirt. Then there'd be dirt in that hole.
The fill dirt comes from a new hole of the same size and shape. Is it really a new hole or did the old hole just move? What's the difference between moving holes and moving dirt?
Per micky:

It wasn't running out of gas, but the most convenient vehicle failure I ever had was on the way to work at the Honolulu airport.
Radiator hose split wide open on my '55 4-door Ford with the roof sawn off. I realized what had happened just in time to coast into a gas station that just happened to have a replacement hose.
Wasn't even late to work.
--
Pete Cresswell

I ran out of gas once. I got 200 feet from the house, then nothing. Easy fix. Was not my daily commuter.
Greg