Reasonable labor rate for siding replacement

Can someone give me a general idea of what I should expect to pay for the labor to replacing siding (or fascia, corner boards, etc), not including the materials.
Do people generally replace siding at a per board/piece cost or estimate the amount of time and charge accordingly?
I'm just looking for ball-park figures, and in this case I would be dealing with an independent contractor/sole proprietor. Of course this would vary by region, so a range is fine.
Thanks!
Depends on siding type cedar shingles, clapboards, vinyl. Also is strippin exsisting siding involved?
Id charge you a million, but competion would not allow it, so ill be fare , and charge what competition allows.

The range is from about $150 to $5,000. It has been many years, but I used to do some siding work. In today's dollars, I'd not consider a job for less than $150. It does not pay to start the truck for less.
Factors to consider: Location. Will I be standing on the ground, ladder jacks, or scaffolding to the fourth floor? Side of a mountain?
Condition of the material to be replaced. Chances of damage to other pieces? Time spent searching for matching material, etc.
Get a price from the guy. If he is reputable, skilled, fair, you will be hard pressed to find a better deal. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
I just got a quote to replace two pieces one eight foot the other 10. The price quoted was $125.00. Which is not bad if you consider that he has to pick up the material drive here, un-load his ladders and tools.
ChrisW
Remove SPAMBLOCK from email address to reply