Reason For Dead Phones?

No, it is a simple device that works like a closed circuit radar. It sends a pulse down the wiring and any problems will cause the pulse to bounce back. Time of travel indicates how far the problem is. High dollar enough that not very many would have one laying around the house.

Slightly more complicated than that, but close enough for a simple explination.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I respectfully disagree.

Two-party service (2FR) signals the "ring party" by delivering ringing current on the ring side of the pair that passes through a specially-wired telephone to ground. The "tip party" is signaled by ringing on the other conductor through a specially-wired set to ground.

4, 6 and 8-party service also uses the above technique on a single pair but uses distinctive ringing patterns assigned to each party. Example: Two, short rings.

On an eight-party line, only FOUR parties hear ringing.

OBTrivia: Multi-party service was originally required due to inadequate infrastructure (not enough pairs). The customers were "bridged" in the field.

As enough pairs became available, many subscribers re-graded to private service (1FR, 1FB, etc). Those that kept their two-party service were bridged in the Central Office. This allowed for easier trouble shooting.

As party line subscribers died off, moved or re-graded to 1FR, their former partymates enjoyed virtually private service at the lower, two-party rate.

About once a year, the business office would call these "bridged alone" subscribers and offer them a private line using Measured Rate service that was about the same price. About half of these folks would re-grade. Those that didn't were in for a surprise:

The Central Office Technician would then connect each remaining, bridged alone subscriber with a new partymate. Most of those would then promptly call to change to private service.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

New technology, I'm 45 years behind on that one. I haven't seen a party line in that long but it was the different frequency response ringer type, all the ringers would tap whenever anyone on the party line was called with only the called party getting a full ring. It was in a rural area and hunters were always putting buckshot through those nice lead cased overhead lines. "Maw, the phones out uhgin." "Dang that Earl, he don't never know what he's a shootn at."

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Through the 70's and 80's, I always ordered 2 party service. It was much cheaper and there was never another party. At that time, in that place, I think most people didn't know you could get multi-party service. -- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

There were at least four subscribers on the party line when I was growing up. There wee never any rings for someone else. Also, there were just 2 wires connected to the house.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Mark Lloyd wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It sure was fun back then to listen to people's conversations. he he

Reply to
Lisa BB.

Isn't that the way they always do it? That's the way my house has been ever sicne the demark box went in. How should it be?

P&M

Reply to
mm