Reason For Dead Phones?

Page 2 of 2
Murriel wrote:

I had a wire break in an outlet box in the kitchen. Install by phone company was somewhat sloppy twenty years before and I figure vibrations in floor may have stressed the wire. No bugs or mice did it. I fixed it myself as I had no contract.
Murriel wrote:

Do you have any small dogs that may mark their territory by spraying the phone jack? Most folks can't believe it when it happens.
TDD
If its inside they see $$$$$$$$$$$$ JERRY
http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair
I had the same problem once, and it was very difficult to find the reason... what happened is corrosion inside a phone receptacle that was never used. This corrosion caused a short circuit in the phone line. At first it was intermittent and it gradually got worse. Simply replacing the receptacle at the wall fixed it.
Murriel wrote:

I am also on Verizon since last year. they changed out the demark box when I went to Verizon.
So last month I got the crackly phone, got worse over several days, then died completely. I determined the demark jack worked fine. the problem was between my demark test jack and the terminals going out the lines in the house. The demark box itself was defective. However, the tech jury-rigged the fix. He just attached the output lines to a RJ11 plug and plugged it into the demark test jack. Thanks a heap, Eric.

Isn't that the way they always do it? That's the way my house has been ever sicne the demark box went in. How should it be?
P&M

When I was living in my trailer and had my phone wires strung though the bushes someone was chewing on my phone wires. I think it was rabbits. After a while the copper would oxidize and begin to short out with the other wire. They seemed to only chew on the live wires. Not enough voltage in their diets, I guess. It would start out as static and get worse.