Really small addition and foundation?

I have a garrison colonial (standard 2nd story 12" overhang of 1st floor) and would like to make the 1st floor even with the 2nd floor by adding a wall. But not increasing the living space of the 1st floor. I will however be putting a bay window in the wall.
My question is regarding a foundation. Can I dig out a 4ft deep trench 12" wide beside the existing foundation and fill it with concrete? Or do I just need to dig a couple of 4' deep holes and add some posts to support the new wall and window? Thanks Jeremy

You can make either way work. Your local building inspector will tell you what needs to be done though.

Ok, then what *ARE* you trying to accomplish? If all you're doing is making space for more insulation, you shouldn't need more foundation at all.
I think that I could use angle braces and tie everything back to the foundation, if I weren't putting a bay window in the wall then I would be more apt to do that.