Really odd spots on laundry... what's the deal?

Every once in awhile we'll find an article of clothes with ugly (and seemingly unremovable) spots after removing it from our washer. It was a mere annoyance when it would happen to a t-shirt but now a nice skirt of my wife's has been ruined!
A photo of the skirt is below (ignore the obvious moisture from a spraying of 'shout')
The area of spots is always localized on the clothing. Usually only 1 article of clothings is affected, not the entire wash. There are black spots and also some reddish spots.
Seems to happen with both cold and warm loads.
We assume it's the washer and not a problem with our water system as it only affects one part of an item of clothing. But we could be wrong there. Think we need a new washer? Or is this something that can be repaired? Or do you think it's something other than the washer itself? This item was hung to dry.
Again please see the photo below.
Thanks.
http://gatewayarts.net/temp/washer.jpg
Here's the info on the washer Kenmore heavy duty 70 series model 110 91278800 serial no cc2406622 unsure of age. Bought used 7 or 8 years ago

Years ago (30 maybe) my mom had a washing machine that appeared to deposit spots of grease on the clothes. It wasn't a lot, but enough to be noticable and ruin some things. It's possible that's what is happening. My mom bought a new machine and the problem stopped.
From the looks of your photo, I don't think *shout* will have any effect.
Good luck.
Google Search: Rover rust spot remover
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=rover+rust+spot+remover
I had an old washer rusting and dropping rust particles. Do you leave your clothes in the washer for days after a wash? The black spots look like mold , Have you tried mild bleach. Bleach kills mold. But if this black and red is immediately after a wash It is possibly the machine. See if bleach helps.
This is grease you need it repaired or replaced.
ROBMURR wrote:

I think Horatio Cain needs to look at this....
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:06:58 -0700, Engwar wrote

Engwar -
Appears to be transmission oil from the washer. I'm told it often happens with old machines, and I've had two that went that way.
Under the agitator, there's a seal where the shaft enters the transmission. When this starts to fail, little bubbles of black transmission oil start floating up into the wash water. They cause stains that are almost impossible to remove.
Also, as the oil bubbles out of the transmission, hot soapy water seeps in, which eventually ruins the transmission.
If money's tight, and you're handy, you can replace the seal yourself. But this involves pulling the agitator off its shaft, which can be damn near impossible on an old machine. I made this repair once years ago - a helpful pro at the appliance parts store told me to use a slide-hammer on the agitator.
I think the pros would tell you when the transmission seal fails, it's usually time for a new washer.
Unfortunately, an appliance service call will probably cost more than it's worth spending on an old machine, but it will cost less than a new machine, so if money's tight that could also be the way to go.
Sorry for the bad news.
- Kenneth
Possibly rust spots. To avoid tub rust, leave the lid in the open position after promptly removing clothes.
The spots could be something else. Perhaps something left in a pocket? Do you have a water softener? Do you remove clothes immediately after a load cycles completes?
On 20 Oct 2004 09:06:58 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Engwar) wrote:

(Engwar) wrote:

the washer promptly after the cycle finishes? If so, then it's not mildew, and I agree with the guy who said the transmission seal is leaking.
You could try some rust spot remover. Reddish sounds like the rust spots I had one time. I got the RoVer brand (Hach Company) from the City Water Company. Good Luck
Every once in awhile we'll find an article of clothes with ugly (and seemingly unremovable) spots after removing it from our washer. It was a mere annoyance when it would happen to a t-shirt but now a nice skirt of my wife's has been ruined! A photo of the skirt is below (ignore the obvious moisture from a spraying of 'shout') The area of spots is always localized on the clothing. Usually only 1 article of clothings is affected, not the entire wash. There are black spots and also some reddish spots. Seems to happen with both cold and warm loads. We assume it's the washer and not a problem with our water system as it only affects one part of an item of clothing. But we could be wrong there. Think we need a new washer? Or is this something that can be repaired? Or do you think it's something other than the washer itself? This item was hung to dry.
Iron Out is another brand (available in most hardware and grocery stores). Spot treat per package directions. If it's rust it will disappear.

We have rust in our well water that does this once in a while. A water treatment guy (for what this is worth -- I don't know how true or false it is) said there is two kinds of iron problems you can have -- one is when the iron is oxidized, and comes out of the tap orange. the other is when the iron is dissolved in solution, and doesn't turn orange until it hits the oxygen in the air. He said we have both kinds. The first I was able to filter out with a whole house filter, the second, we still have some issues with.
The other possibility is that something rustable got in the wash from a pocket -- a nail, a screw, something else from the shop like a small drill bit...I've done it. My wife hates that.