Really dumb electrical question.

Page 1 of 2

I have a Federal Pacific Stablock type panel in my home. I am running in a new dedicated 115V circuit for my whirlpool as part of the bathroom renovations. I have a 220v 20A GFI stcu in the panel being unused. But for the life of me, I cannot get it out!
AFAIK, it should just pop out if you lift towards the outside from the inside center point on the panel?
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:30:51 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"

It should come out like any other component near it.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I don't know, but based on what I've read on the interwebs, you may want to consider a panel replacement as a future project.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Really sorry but Nate is 100% right. But after my reading just now I would not wait, I would replace it now.
I recalled some issues about FP a while back and it looks like the stab loks is one of the involved ones: http://inspectapedia.com/fpe/fpe.htm
Colbyt

I was thinking change it out simply bec of breaker cost alone! What are they up to now, for a single pole 15,20 A: $20?? $30???
What are double poles? $75??? EACH! Not to mention that big box stores don't carry them.
--
EA

> Colbyt

Bought a single 15 amp at Home Depot for 9$ Cdn the other day.

Bought a single 15 amp at Home Depot for 9$ Cdn the other day.
====================================================== Wow..... These were going for $16+ each at my local hardware store 10+ years ago! I'm going to have to check my HD -- I've never seen them.... never really asked for them, either.
--
EA

Colbyt wrote:

When FPE was sold to Reliance, they found FPE had submitted fraudulent test information to UL. UL was informed and de-listed much of the FPE line. The problem interval was probably 1965-1980. The US Consumer Product Safety Commission started an investigation, but it was soon dropped - probably _not_ because there was no problem. Info from the CPSC used to be at inspectapedia (probably still is).
The OP appears to be from Canada. I believe FPE is still sold in Canada. The new stuff should be OK. Inspectapedia used to have some specific info on Canadian FPE.
--
bud--

I believe the house is mid 60's so it is probably suspect. Why touch the meter? Coming into my house I have a main switch that shuts the power off to the dual 100 amp fuses in the box feeding the breaker panel. Everything is dead from that box inwards.... That main fuse/ switch panel is after the meter....

As long as you can cut the power ahead of the box you're fine. Some boxes with a built in main the only wway to cut power to the box is to pull the meter. I've done it myself, no big deal. My power company didn't give me any grief when I called them and said they needed to swing by and put a new tag on it at their convinience. I suppose they could have but I figured better to beg forgiveness that seek permission. Plus I try to hang out and bs with the service guys when they show up, get better treatment that way.

I believe the house is mid 60's so it is probably suspect. Why touch the meter? Coming into my house I have a main switch that shuts the power off to the dual 100 amp fuses in the box feeding the breaker panel. Everything is dead from that box inwards.... That main fuse/ switch panel is after the meter....
In the US the rules say you need to have it inspected.
I have no intention of reporting you. If you know how to do it and do it safely, go for it.
Colbyt
Nate Nagel wrote:

Yes, most folks report their Stab-Loc breakers falling out, not sticking. Usually they go to remove one breaker and six others fall out.

Well - Once I am finished with the bathroom and the kitchen ceiling and a few other items, I may take a look at what's involved in swapping it out with another make. Doesn't look like rocket science if one just takes a logical and mapped out approach to it. Or just sell the place. lol.

Nah, you can replace it. I just thought it was worth mentioning as they at least anecdotally are about the worst breaker panels out there, save for maybe Zinsco.
nate

Your point is well taken though - I was amazed at the amount of bad press on these things. I had no idea. I guess probably a couple of hundred bucks and a day to replace it all - oh I guess more since I'd need all new breakers and GFI's too. The price just went up a whole bunch..... Probably more like $500.

Something like that. You'll need to have the power co. come out and pull your meter for you as well, and likely you'll need a permit and inspection before they'll hook it back up again.
Now the question is, "who makes the *best* new residential breaker panel" and that's a question I can't answer, although (again anecdotally) people seem to like Square-D QO. I haven't done much research into this because my house came with a 200A Siemens/ITE panel so I haven't had a need to worry about replacing it.
You'll likely need some AFCIs as well for the bedroom circuits
nate
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Yes; I don't have any GFI breakers but none of the standard breakers have any other locking provisions w/ them so wouldn't think they would, either.
I'd turn off box main, take out ones on either side and see what gives...

It is a breaker the size of 4 thin ones and right at the bottom of the panel. I took out a thing 15 amp above it and I still can't get it out. Not sure what the heck is up. I too read the stuff about FP panels, but I'd prefer to get my bathroom back together and my kitchen ceiling re-installed before I start tearing apart the entire house wiring....
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

What about facing other side of box behind this one?
No real other ideas; never had an issue w/ one w/ half-dozen of the panels.

I could/did remove the entire face plate of the panel, just leaving the breakers in place. Perhaps its "hung" on the panel face. At any rate, you'll get a better 'look' at it after you take it off.
Use normal safety measures