Real question about moles

I have a two stage back lawn. One part runs from the house to the tree line when it was a farm field. This is an area that we sodded, sprinkled and generally take care. The other part runs from the tree line to the lot line and largely left that alone except for mowing the weeds. I have had moles in the Back 40 for awhile but took a live and let live stance in the wilder area. However, they are now starting to get to the real lawn and this CANNOT stand. However, I would still like to let them live if possible. So I was thinking about getting a couple of those ultrasonic things that supposedly keep the critters away and set up a picket line to protect the real lawn. Anyone know if these really work?
On 10/26/13 8:23 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

From the UNL Nebguide: http://tinyurl.com/l9xz7yc
Look for G1538. I didn't read it so I don't know if it answers your specific question.

It does answer the question. NOt the one I wanted (grin)
but what they conceal is vital.
On Saturday, October 26, 2013 10:02:15 AM UTC-4, Kurt Ullman wrote:

I've looked into this a few times over the years, ie what to do about moles. The people that were reporting success were using the old spearing type of traps. I've tried them and had no luck. My problem area is the back lawn, which borders forest area. They seem to like that. I have a cat and even the cat hasn't caught one.
There are those that say just get rid of grubs and the moles will leave. That might work in some cases, but moles eat a wide variety of insects, plants, etc, so it grubs can be a factor to consider, but I think it's far from a solution.
On 10/26/2013 9:23 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Been a while since I dealt with moles but recall what did them in was a zinc phosphide based rodenticide put in their tunnels. Moles are not an endangered species that I want to keep around.

A friend mine sold 700,000 of them and retired. Even he said they didn't work; kindly, he offered a money back guarantee. He had 700 people ask for refunds.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 10/26/2013 6:23 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

The post about moles being attracted to the food you are supplying in the lawn.
You didn't mention the size of the lawn, but in any case, there is nothing you can do to make the moles leave.
What you can do is to keep them out. I suggest getting a roll or two of roof flashing metal (aluminum or zinc). Dig a trench around the lawn so you can put the flashing on edge in the trench. Then back fill the trench. Sort of like wide lawn edging material. In fact, if you could find a roll of 8-10 inch wide plastic, you could use that.
The mole doesn't dig very deep.
Paul

The yard is just under 300 feet long, so that ain't gonna happen (grin). Thanks for the suggestion, though.
but what they conceal is vital.
On Sunday, October 27, 2013 10:02:29 AM UTC-4, Kurt Ullman wrote:

I have one of those sonic things. It gets rid of the moles in the immediat e vicinity but they just seem to move else where in the lawn. I've also us ed the mole bait poison. It works some as well. As does grub control inse cticide. Nothing seems the complete answer. I'd go with a combination of everything.