"Real paint" from a "real paint store" -- disappointing

Applied a coat of Sherwin-Williams ProClassic Extra White to a pre-primed door yesterday (primer has a very, very pale greenish tint) and found that there are still dark patches showing through.
Shouldn't one coat of a decent paint have been sufficient?
MB
Whether you vote Democrat or Republican in November, the country will still be run from boardrooms in the USA and elsewhere, not by your elected representatives.
Not really, I double coat everything. Heck its only a door, how big is that... Did you use a quality paint brush? Paint was shaken properly?
I stirred the paint well and put it on with a roller.
MB
Whether you vote Democrat or Republican in November, the country will still be run from boardrooms in the USA and elsewhere, not by your elected representatives.
On 10/21/04 12:36 pm ROBMURR put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

<< I stirred the paint well and put it on with a roller. >>
Common professional practice is to slap it on with a rolloer and then brush out smooth. Go to a job site where real painters work and watch the techniques. Very instructive and amazing how fast they can lay down a near perfect paint film. HTH
Joe
Minnie Bannister wrote:

One coat coverage is based on three things. A smooth prepared, surface; you likely have that. A given application rate (so much paint per area, and an even coverage. You may or may not have the amount of paint right, but I doubt if you are going to get the even coverage using a roller. Many pros use rollers, but then brush it smooth.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

If the can claims one-coat coverage, then, yes. But I'll bet the directions say to use two coats. And you just discovered why. :-)
I never use one coat. You will find that the first coat does not go on thickly without running, it's main job is to bond the the layer below. If that layer is old and very hard, the paint will not give a lot of coverage as it slides around on the old coat.
24 hours later, a second coat will lay thick, quickly laying onto and bonding with the "not fully hardened first coat" giving a thick, full coverage layer with no showthrough.
wrote:

directions
There wasn't a danger of runs, as I had the door laid flat on saw horses. I might well have applied a second coat anyway, but for durability rather than for coverage.
MB
Whether you vote Democrat or Republican in November, the country will still be run from boardrooms in the USA and elsewhere, not by your elected representatives.
On 10/21/04 02:10 pm Eric Tonks put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

no.

I've never been pleased with a one coat job with even the best paints. A lot has to do with the prep you did and what color you are trying to cover. The second coat can be faster and thinner, but it does add something to the job.

The ProClassic is one of their bottom-line paints.....
I would not have thought so, considering the price, $36.49 for a gallon. How much should "good" paint cost?
MB
Whether you vote Democrat or Republican in November, the country will still be run from boardrooms in the USA and elsewhere, not by your elected representatives.
On 10/21/04 06:19 pm Red Neckerson put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

According to the comparison chart on the S-W Web site
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/diy/interior/paint/intratingchart.asp
ProClassic is their best interior paint in every category other than "Coverage/Hiding," in which SuperPaint is best.
MB
On 10/21/04 06:19 pm Red Neckerson put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

All paint needs xxx number of mills to accomplish its task. Many commercial jobs actually measure the mills of installed paint to check for compliance with specifications.
I find many people try to squeeze the paint onto walls, ceilings, and other surfaces and try to make the paint go as far as possible. Painters tend to hang as much paint on in each coat as possible, just short of runs and sags. The paint is cheap, the labor is high.
message

--WebTV-Mail-22084-1381 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
Just finished painting the walls of a bedroom that had DARK chocolate walls, (and I do mean Dark!)
Used Benjamin Moore's Regal Line of paint. $34.00 The color was muslim, (kinda antique white), One coat and it is beautiful!
If you want Real Paint from a Real store .. It's Benjamin Moore all the way!!
Paul
--WebTV-Mail-22084-1381 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
--WebTV-Mail-22084-1381--
--WebTV-Mail-15658-2346 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
I didn't even use a primer 8)
--WebTV-Mail-15658-2346 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
--WebTV-Mail-15658-2346--
If you really need one coat coverage try Sherwin Williams 'Superpaint', I painted a medium blue ceiling white and it covered in one coat..I was amazed. I put a second coat on just for the heck of it since I always do and this is the better practice, but you can get away with one coat coverage with superpaint if your careful.
--

Mikey S.
http://www.mike721.com

NEWSFLASH: Painting dark colors over light is a LOT tougher test of paint (and the painter) than light over dark.. It might defy your "logic", but ask any pro painter.