Reading glasses

...snip...

I've heard of people that buy contacts but only use them in one eye. They say they can learn to read with the contact eye and use the other eye for everything else. They say "You get used to it."

I asked my eye doctor about it and he said, "Yes, that technique can work. However, if you want to do it that way, find another eye doctor. I don't support the practice."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

All you need is a negative meniscus lens of whatever power you need. A negative meniscus lens is one that is thicker at the edges than in the middle; "reading" lenses are positive meniscus lenses, thicker in the middle than at the edges. The difference between the thick and thin part determines the diopter (power).

Simple meniscus lenses in a huge variety of sizes and diopters are readily available; Edmund Scientific being one source.

Go buy two and glue them into a frame. Or buy one and learn to use it as a monocle :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Please visit this web site. I've got no interest, other than being a satisfied customer. Last time I checked, they had eye glasses starting about eight bucks a pair (which includes single focus lenses to your Rx). More for bifocals, tint, and some other options.

You need to know your Rx, and your PD (pupilary distance). Last time, shipping was $15 or so, for any order size.

Glasses made in Hong Kong, and shipped to you from some where in California.

I bought several pair of reading glasses, distance glasses. Put spare eye glasses in the vehicle, and set of reading glasses in my church book bag.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Distance problems are only caused by one thing: the spherical shape of the eyeball. If it is too protruding, one can see well close up but not at distance; too flat a shape and the reverse is true. To correct either, all that is needed is a lens that returns the eyeball to a spherical shape.

When we get older, most of us lose some of the ability of the eyes to adjust their shape to focus at closer distances; ergo, reading glasses.

Eyes can have other problems such as astigmatism but the effect of that is that objects in one plane are focused differentially from those at 90 degrees.

Reply to
dadiOH

[my understanding] in his 20's, deceased - died on a guerney in a hospital during a normal examination. Must have been too far away from medical care, eh?

LOL! yeah, we don't want to end up like them, "soon to be rulers of the world", right?

Especially, after listening to an interview with a young couple struggling to survive. They had just wrecked their truck which they used as part of their floral business. They were barely making ends meet and now this completely unexpected hardship. They said their insurance didn't cover completely and rates would definitely go up, didn't know where theyd get the money to replace the truck and may lose their business. More importantly, they were extremely worried about where they would get the money to keep their children in school! Thought I was listening to a U.S. midwest couple's lament, only to find out I had been listening to the woes of a young couple in China?!!! I thought, wow they ARE just like everyone else, and then wondered if the interview was some type of 'propaganda' to convince me they were like eveyrone else. Well if it was, it worked, I still hear the laments of the young couple's woes and firmly believe it to be true. On the flip side, I no longer trust ANY non-persoanl situation that leaves such crystal clear memories. Even some personal situations have become suspect. And, discount all such as attempts to manipulate my thinking.

That's right. Wait until it's too late. :)

My experience similar. I just use the eye exercises now to be able to keep using the 1.25's Have to admit that having poor vision is a bummer! Like being in a prison. Now I have relative whose optic nerves were attacked by those high powered antibiotics necessary to stomp on those high powered infections! Her vision was almost destroyed. She can now read ONE LETTER at a time! But it has to be about the size of your computer monitor. However, good news, her vision has now improved to where she can read a whole word at a time.

Reply to
RobertMacy

During youth, I used to lie on my left side and read. With the book lying beside me, which resulted in the right eye becoming great at reading and the left eye wandering off, since it was so low to the book that it's view added little information, so as a result... The right eye became stronger and stronger for close viewing and the left eye became stronger and stronger for 'far' view. Rather unbalanced, but makes sense. If you don't 'think' about what your body is doing; it pretty much goes off and does what it wants. The attempted cure is to cover one eye at a time while doing the activity. Driving cover the left eye and try to drive with just the right eye. Reading, cover the right eye and force the left eye to try and focus.

All helps keep things from going wonky, but therein lies the truth, 'helps' not 'cures' Maybe a judicious regimen would work, eh?

Reply to
RobertMacy

This 'shape' of the eyeball explanation makes sense, since it is based upon a camera system, something everyone can relate to. Until,...I found out that people with multiple personality will test completely differently based upon which personality they are. One, is so myopic as to need 'coke-bottle' glasses, almost legally blind, Another, has perfect 20/20 and so on. Kind of 'redefines' vision. Or, maybe they force change the shape of their eye balls.

Reply to
RobertMacy

In article <

I found a good compromise was the glasses with magnets that join the frames together at the front (think the ME from CSI:NY if you are familiar). I break them apart and wrap them around my neck when I don't need them for awhile, yet I don't lose them like I tend to do with the others. Also, when I break them apart, it often confuses who I am talking to for a couple of minutes- grin)

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

My wife swears by them. I tried but couldn't get to work, largely because I have floaters. If contact in my floater eye, when they came around I couldn't read any more. If in my other eye, when they came around I lost long distance... rather disconcerting when driving. Had a friend do one eye long and one eye short when he had his cataracts done. He says, NEVER do that.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I've got astigmatism and need bifocals. When I wore my Zenni glasses to an optical exam, I was 20/20 just like with local glasses.

As far as ordering from China, as some object, I've gotten one order in less than a week. I've also had a week's wait at the local opticians. Who knows where they are going to get the work done. Also pointed out the "Made in China" label on the local glasses. Even if the local guy did the lenses, he was using Chinese parts.

People buy American cars made in Canada and Mexico. Why not glasses?

Reply to
Frank

I think they might be. When you use reading glasses, what you're looking at is pretty close, so the light is coming into your eyes from only a limited range of angles. With distance glasses, you might be looking at anything from zero to virtual infinity, so the more nearly the centers of the lenses match up with the centers of your eyes, the less distortion.

I've been wearing distance glasses for almost 50 years, and one of my eyes is considerably weaker than the other. When I was younger (and was still growing), sometimes there'd be quite a change when I got a new pair of glasses. The dizzying thing was that my eyes would suddenly both be "good".

Finally, the cheap glasses have cheap lenses. Chromatic aberration, fringes on the edges, you name it. That's not so bad if you're wearing them for a while and looking at a book or something, but every waking hour and looking in every direction and trying to use peripheral vision-- it's best to have the best possible lenses.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I am a model maker so I have one of those hoods with multiple stacking lenses. 3 different diopters. I wear it with my reading glasses on.

willshak

I'll second that about Zenni Optical. Very cheap but great quality prescription glasses. You do need a recent (less than two years old) prescription from an eye exam. But you should be getting those anyway to detect vision hazards like glaucoma and macular degeneration.

In most states the doctor must release a copy of your prescription to you upon request. If he won't, Zenni will contact their office to verify the Rx.

In my case, I like to be upfront. When I make the appointment I tell the doctor's office that I want an exam for glasses, but I also tell them I won't be buying the glasses at their office.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

The bad thing about dollar store glasses is that you want poly carb lenses for safety and dollar store glasses fail that safety test.

I like Zenni Optical. Great quality and dirt cheap.

You should be getting an eye exam every couple of years anyway, so why not get prescription poly carb safety lenses?

Reply to
Tony Sivori

Roger that about Costco. If you're going to be doing a lot of DIY work, might be worth the (relatively) small investment for safety. You do NOT want any inaccurate vision when working w/tools!!

If you decide to go the Costco(or similar) way, get SMALL frames. That way, you can put safety goggles over them. Prescription glasses don't protect your eyes from bad stuff entering through side, top or bottom.

I don't get anti-glare coatings because they scratch easily. But you wouldn't need them for close work anyway; they're more for outdoor.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I always get the prescription. A prescription for glasses is not like one for drugs where you need a doctors signature. Xerox copies or just giving the optician the numbers will get you glasses.

I see my ophthalmologist twice a year as my old eyes show signs of cataracts and macular degeneration. He also does the pressure tests. They will give me a new prescription when my reading of the eye chart changes. I have to pay for eye glass prescription but exams are covered by medicare.

Reply to
Frank

Yes. Can you imagine how happy people were in the 1300's and after that when they first found out about glasses and got some.

I hope she continues to improve.

Reply to
micky

You do. Took me about 3 days. In reality, you are still using both eyes at any distance, just that one of them focuses sharply the other less so depending upon how bad your eyes are (mine were about 20/200). The fact that you are still using both eyes means you still see in stereo.

I've also done the same thing with glasses. I also did it with bifocal glasses. When I got so I needed trifocals I went to progressive lenses.

Reply to
dadiOH

What do they have?

Reply to
micky

Because, I think, inappropriate distance lenses can do more harm than inappropriate reading lenses.

While I was still wearing contacts most of the time,* I had eyeglasses to wear at other times that the ophthalmologist called "monovision": one eye for distance and the other for reading. If that's ok for eyeglasses, I don't know why it wouldn't be OK for contacts.

*I had to have the contacts out for quite a while before my cataract surgery and have never gone back to contacts. IAC, one eye now needs only plain glass (except for the reading portion) and the other has a problem that the cataract surgery could not fix.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy