Read this advice before re-roofing and rain gutter installation.

If you=92re going to install or replace rain gutters or going to re- roof I strongly recommend using gutter hangers that have a strap. Try to avoid using the other types of hangers as much as possible. Here is an image link to the types of rain gutter hangers:

All types of hangers that do not have straps will eventually sag and leak from the weight of the water in the gutter and the fact that they are fastened to the edge of the eave which is the area most susceptible to wood rot and deterioration. The strapped hangers are secured to the top of the eave and not the edge. Since the straps have to be secured to the top of the eave it is a good idea to have the straps installed when ever replacing your roof especially if you=92re having a tile roof put on so that they are not visible. You should have straps installed even if you=92re not going to replace your rain gutters so that one day if you do they will be ready.

Reply to
Molly Brown

Good advice, I think.

Do they come already in brown?

If the roof doesn't need new shingles, wouldn't it be possible to shorten the strap to an inch or two under the shingles, then lift the shingle (if it's not yet too brittle) to put a nail in, top with a metal plate and hammer on the shingle/plate/nail, using the plate to keep from breaking the shingle.

Even one nail only an inch from the edge ought to be enough to hold the gutter up for 10 or 20 years, no? Since the force on the nail will be perpendicular to it, parallel to the roof.

I've done a lot of weirdo things like that and they usually work.

I went 25 years on my first shingles and asked the roofer to hammer in the gutter spikes when he was up there, but he didn't' suggest these strapped hangers. He did everything else I asked, but without having watched, I can't tell if he did this. It wouldn't have mattered because soon after the spikes on the south side of the house were lose and I replaced them all with gutter screws. They held well, but there may be sagging again 6 years later. The gutters on the north side of the house are fine, I think. I looked at them to replace the spikes with screws, and I don't remember if I did it or not, but if so, they were pretty tight already and I figured screws are bound to be better than nails.

Reply to
mm