Reaction of bleach and loose-fill insulation?

I was taking care today of some mold that started developing in the attic by spraying it waith a solution of 1-part bleach and 5-parts water... and I realized that may not be a good idea. Our attic is filled with some off-white loose-fill insulation, and for all I know bleach could cause some kind of reaction and create heat.
Is that possible?
(I took some of the insulation and put it in a bowl with some straight bleach and have left it outside with a thermometer to see if something happens.)
I probably won't sleep well tonight, thinking that right above my head there's a proto-fire developing. I don't know exactly what kind of insulation it is. It's cottony, fiberous, off white.
Thanks for any feedback! Liam
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I would think it's unlikely with all that water.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Read your bleach bottle its 97-98% water, All you will do is kill the mold even in concentrate.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
It probably a cellulose base with a fire inhibitor. The worst thing that will happen is it will take forever to dry out if the attic is unventilated or lacks adequate ventilation. And, that's probably the case in lieu of the mold presence. You might vent the bathroom vent elsewhere than the attic BTW.
--
Jonny
< snipped-for-privacy@celticbear.com> wrote in message
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
If it is really white - could be a fiberglass "blowing glass". As Jim points out - you have to get better ventilation to get rid of the mositure or you will have big problems other than mold. Venting bathroom exhaust into the attic is a no no. Mold won't grow without moisture. Spraying it with bleach is not a solution.
Is something vented to the attic - maybe a bathroom vent?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
If you are over insulated and it is blocking the ridge vent along outside edge of roof that will cause the moisture I have seen cases were a power vent either electrical or mechanichal has had to be installed to get rid of moisture in an attic even during cold winter months. makes ure all you vent areas are open in attic area and as others in group have suggested check to make sure a bathroom ordryer etc ventis not dumping oisture into the attic. Biggest wrry about spraying the bleach in the atic would be making sure it is kept away from all electrical boxes lights and fittings. very lite chance it would react otherwise
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Nick Markowitz wrote:

Thanks, to all repliers! I'll have to go back up and check, but I'm pretty sure there's an air duct going from the bathroom vent out. No, the mold seems to be coming from moisture coming from a joint in a PVC pipe leading to the bathroom plumbing. Looks like I'm going to need to get that repaired.
Thanks for all the advice and feedback! Liam
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Two links you might find helpful re your moldy insulation. IMO it should be removed and replaced. the water could actually help more mold to grow.
http://www.cal-iaq.org/mold0107.htm
http://www.askthebuilder.com/344_Mold.shtml
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Got any downlights?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.