Re-use shower mortar bed by stripping off tile?

I am going to replace ceramic tile with Travertine in a 20 year-old mud-job shower that is functioning well.
If it is possible to skin off the tile/thinset leaving the mortar bed very intact, if not perfectly so, is it possible to lay the new right on top, or am I asking for trouble?
Joe

yes you can strip off old tiles. it doesn't matter if it's not pretty or is dinged up. sand it down with a belt sander if it's not even. wear eye/lung protectors and arrange for someone to contain the dust with a shopvac. make sure you seal off the room too.