re-surface parts of garage floor

Parts of my garage concrete floor is pitting and looks like a lunar landscape- very rough. I would like to put layer of cement over the top, but is that the best method and how should I prepare it and then make it smooth?

GA

Reply to
George Abbot

nothing you do will be permanent. at best its a short term fix.....

sakrete has that overlay stuff, let it cure and thompsons water seal it.

Reply to
hallerb

concrete over concrete doesn't bond well. The professional fix is epoxy mixed with lots of sand - sort of epoxy concrete.....

paul oman / progressive epoxy polymers

Reply to
Paul Oman

the trouble with every coating is expansion and contraction and movement.

vehicles are heavy, the base under the slab is likely bad, nothing you do to the top can fix that.

Reply to
hallerb

OP, do you live in salt country? Symptoms sound like typical salt spalling. Unless floor is badly cracked and heaved, substrate is probably fine. No, another layer of concrete won't stick. A commercial epoxy patch is probably only fix, or just learn to live with it like most people do. My garage has stripes like that under the tires and drip lines, but is still solid.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Yes, salt country.

GA

Reply to
George Abbot

Avoid Thompsons products like the plague. Their water seal has been describes as a hydrocarbon solution of simple wax. Check Consumer Reports and archives in this NG for many negative comments. For a good floor repair, check out industrial coatings that factories use, such as Sonneborn, others. Graingers, McMaster-Carr may be sources for those. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I have had great success with thompsons waterseal.

I had a detoriating porch slab that got patched every year.

one year i doused the repaired slab with thompsons, that ENDED the detoriation. water couldnt get into the slab it beaded up, like a newly waxed car,

Reply to
hallerb