Re-soldering copper pipe

I started a plumbing project and changed my mind mid-project. Is it safe to reheat a joint and turn an elbow 180 degrees? By safe, I mean, will the solder continue to provide a sound, leak-proof joint?

Reply to
Les

When it's hot brush more flux on joint then add more solder.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Take it apart, clean it, reflux. then just resolder it. Unless there is a good reason, it is easier to use a new part; reused parts are often a problem.

Are you asking if you can just heat it and rotate it? If your joint was perfect the first time it "ought" to be okay, but I wouldn't take the chance.

Reply to
Toller

Yes. If it was done right you have enough solder and it is not exposed to air so it will not oxidize either. Take care not to overheat the joint.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I agree. Heat it, rotate it, and then run some more solder around the joint and it should be fine.

Reply to
trader4