Re-roofing--when is the best time of year?

I had a recent insurance settlement to replace a roof following a hailstorm. I have two years to make the repairs, so I'm in no hurry since there are no leaks since the damage is mainly superficial at this point (I had just enough hail dings in 3-tab shingles, and none are missing). Since this area is still prone to hailstorms this time of year, I'd hate to replace it now, have another hailstorm (and my large insurance deductible) all over again. Some of my neighbors with equal damage have already started doing theirs, while others appear to be in no hurry. So I may wait until storm season is over. But then we would be into summer, and is it bad to put on a new roof in the hottest part of the summer? Would it be better if I wait until the fall months? Thanks for info.

GS

Reply to
GarySport

Jim85CJ

But it's uncomfortable, believe me, in the hotter months. Also, foot traffic on a hot roof will mar the shingles.You can roof year round. If you can, wait 'til the cooler months. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

Reply to
Jim85CJ

I would say the spring is the best time, followed by summer. You don't want to do it in early winter or late fall when the new shingles may end up going most of the winter before they get hot enough to seal properly. However I suggest another factor is when are the roofers less busy.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Better situation to negotiate prices in summer when work is slower. I recently did ours, a first time experience. If I had it to do over I would chose summer for an additional reason. Any trim that might need repair, touching up or replacement, I could do before they finish. Also, I could better remove some of the stuff that fell through into the attic when they striped off the old stuff. Since the guys that did our roof sub contracted the stripping, I would ask for a day or so in between stripping and the new roof to tend to these items.

Reply to
F.H.

Well, if he hired me, I'd just as soon wait 'til the cooler months! : ) Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom
040519 2101 - Tom posted:

If it is done in the Springtime, the roofing material will have all summer in the heat to seal and cling to each other, aiding in keeping intact during high winds.

Reply to
indago

If the damage is really superficial, don't fix it at all. Bank the money.

Reply to
default