Re-Paving A Driveway Questions

Hello,
Have a home driveway that has to be repaved.
It's been so many years since it was last, I really don't remember any of the details.
I believe a bed of crushed stone was put down first.
Questions:
a. Assuming there is a bed of crushed stones there now, do I want the contractor to remove all this old stone, and put down a new stone bed before putting down the new asphalt ? Why ?
Or, can he just remove the old asphalt, and leave the stones in place ? (seems almost impossible to do, I would think, but am not sure ?)
b. What should the stone bed thickness be ?
c. What should the asphalt thickness be ?
d. What's a "typical" price (per square foot, I guess) for a complete job including the new stone bed ? (live outside of Boston)
Not too sure what else to really ask.
Any other thoughts on would be most appreciated.
Thanks, Bob
Take a look see.........:-)
http://www.rd.com/content/openContent.do?contentId 600