Re-paneling - Help needed

I plan to strip old paneling (inherited) from the den in my home, insulate, run home-theater wiring behind new paneling, etc. Problem: whereas all rooms have 8-foot ceilings, the den has a 9-foot ceiling. The previous owner installed 8-foot panels from the ceiling down and finished off the last foot with panel pieces installed horizontally. I must admit it looks awful. To my knowledge, no one makes 9-foot panels. Am I right on this? If this is the case, can anyone suggest how I might handle this? Probably the proper way to do this would be to raise the den floor but this would also involve removing and re-setting the patio door, raising the patio steps, etc. All-in-all, cost prohibitive. Any other suggestions re: dealing with my

8-foot-9-foot problem would be most welcome. Thanks much.
Reply to
sidw

wainscoting?

wide chair rail (or even 2)?

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Paneling went out in the 60's. Go with sheetrock and plaster. Donate the paneling to a museum.

Reply to
Randd01

I would be mildly surprise if you couldn't get higher-end paneling in 10' lengths. That said, other options include

Big toe and crown molding, to use up the extra foot; Putting the seam in the middle, with a chair-rail or shelving covering the seam; or a cup-rail (shelf) up by the ceiling; or using actual planking instead of paneling.

Reply to
default

It is gonna cost more than you initially estimated.

Reply to
New & Improved - N/F John