Re-paneling - Help needed

I plan to strip old paneling (inherited) from the den in my home, insulate, run home-theater wiring behind new paneling, etc. Problem: whereas all rooms have 8-foot ceilings, the den has a 9-foot ceiling. The previous owner installed 8-foot panels from the ceiling down and finished off the last foot with panel pieces installed horizontally. I must admit it looks awful. To my knowledge, no one makes 9-foot panels. Am I right on this? If this is the case, can anyone suggest how I might handle this? Probably the proper way to do this would be to raise the den floor but this would also involve removing and re-setting the patio door, raising the patio steps, etc. All-in-all, cost prohibitive. Any other suggestions re: dealing with my 8-foot-9-foot problem would be most welcome. Thanks much.

wainscoting?
wide chair rail (or even 2)?
Paneling went out in the 60's. Go with sheetrock and plaster. Donate the paneling to a museum.
I would be mildly surprise if you couldn't get higher-end paneling in 10' lengths. That said, other options include
Big toe and crown molding, to use up the extra foot; Putting the seam in the middle, with a chair-rail or shelving covering the seam; or a cup-rail (shelf) up by the ceiling; or using actual planking instead of paneling.

It is gonna cost more than you initially estimated.