re-painting problem!

Oh God! Did I do a booboo!
A few years ago, I was looking for a way to hang pictures on some walls in such a way that they would not 'move'. That is, hanging them from a single, center hook would allow them to continually require adjusting to make the straight all the time.
I opted to use some velcro thingees I found at HD which were recommended and which did the job seemingly. The thingees were velcro'ed on one side and gummy (sticky) on the other side. The trick was to stick one velcro piece on the wall, and the velcro matching piece on the picture. Then when you press them together they not only hold the picture but they hold the picture very firmly. It worked!
Now I want to re-paint. Guess what? The velcro pieces on the wall left a gummy, sticky residue on the wall that I dare not try to simply paint over, and which I cannot remove very well. I have tried acetone, paint thinner, sandpaper. A scraper merely moves the residue around.
Is there another solvent I should try? Any other ideas?
Thanks
Geezer
[...]

There are products available in supermarkets and hardware stores that'll deal with this. One is called "Goo-Gone". Works nicely. It's oil-based, though, so after the sticky stuff is removed, be sure to clean the area thoroughly with rubbing alcohol.
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:25:32 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

Thanks much!
You reminded me that I have a spray-can of something called 'GOOF OFF' unopened of all things in my garage. I found it, and tried it, and it worked pretty good.
Remind me to find another way to re-hang the pictures.
Geezer

Use a bubble level to draw a line on the wall. Install two hooks, putting the nails or screws right on the line. The distance between the hooks will depend on the size of the thing you're hanging.
I'm just a lurker, but go to Wal-Mart in the school supples and buy "HANDI TAK" it's a reusable adhesive that takes the place of tape, tacks etc. Comes in a BRIGHT YELLOW package with BLUE lettering.I've used it for years. It comes in yellow strips and you just tear off a little bit and stick on the corner of a frame and push to the wall. Have used this for years at home and in our camper. Leaves nothing on the wall when you take it off. Hope this helps.
Sheryl

I'm allergic to Wal Mart.
I'm with you for about the last six years, but just knew you can get this at WW. We just voted down again ( 3rd time) here in my small town to NOT get a Super WM. Don't even get me started on WM since I'm having a good day so far. LOL
Have a good day.
Sheryl

Try GooGone, an adhesive remover and then prime the area with a shellac based primer such as Kilz
The velcro pieces on the wall

to remove the adhesive. Ask at HD or the hardware store. Richard
geezer wrote:

I see that others are recommending products made specifically for this, but in our household, we've always just used WD-40. Just recently used it to remove ages-old tape & residue from re-usable posters/signs at a local NFP organization. The trick is to let it soak in, and then the sticky stuff is rendered non-sticky, and is easily removable. When painting the area, rest assured you need to remove any WD-40 residue with the proper cleaners, or else the paint more than likely won't stick.

Actually, plain vegetable oil will sometimes work, too. I've used it to remove some very stubborn bumper stickers.

This is why people should use picture-rail.