OT Tire valve caps

Why? I doubt if they would do much, if any, good if the valve was leaking. They get in the way when checking air pressure - if they weren't there I'd likely check more often. All I can think of is to keep dirt out of valves?

TIA

Reply to
KenK

If you live in a cold climate, moisture is another reason. You don't want ice or snow to build up in the valve and maybe end up damaging it or causing a slow leak.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Oren wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Valve caps on car A./C? I've never noticed them. Where are they? On the A/C itself? Where 'freon' is added? I don't even know where mine is. Never had to mess with it. (Only have owned the car a few months.)

Reply to
KenK

Yes.

I don't even know where mine is.

Unless you have a problem and are DIY you don't need to know.

I would think dirt would be the main reason. Get dirt in there, then you fill it, some of the dirt gets stuck and the valve doesn't close.

Reply to
trader_4

Yep.

But the primary purpose they serve is in finding lost socks. When you lose one sock, that sock goes to a special place. The same place lost valve caps go.

Apologies to those who are not Ren and Stimpy fans.

Reply to
Dan Espen

KenK wrote in news:XnsA36D6829B3F38invalidcom@130.133.4.11:

That's it exactly: to keep foreign matter out of the valves.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I like the aftermarket ones that can unscrew the core. If they were cast iron, I could find them with a magnet. If a wheel had 6 valves, I could balance it by screwing on cast iron valve caps of different weights.

Reply to
J Burns

Hi, New cars have tire pressure monitor valves. Don't need to check pressure unless monitor senses it. Put in Nitrogen which is more stable. Nitrogen filled tire valve caps are green in color. You think keeping dirt out is unimportant?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

To keep dirt out of valves

Reply to
Guv Bob

Speaking for others, I accept your apology.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Or a not so slow leak.

Reply to
clare

I've had good results using 80% nitrogen.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It's worked for me for 50 years.

Reply to
clare

Tony Hwang wrote in news:iaXxv.34763$ snipped-for-privacy@fx07.iad:

You *are* aware, aren't you, that air is 79% percent nitrogen anyway?

Reply to
Doug Miller

I was at a tire store last week and there was some nutcake demanding nitrogen be used on his PT Cruiser clown car. ROFLMAO!

Reply to
Jack

Yeah, but diluted watered down nitrogen isn't any where near as strong.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

:). I remember when cars came with those style caps.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

What a great idea! I need a few. I recently bought some valve caps with built-in pressure indicators but one of them already blew off the valve stem for some reason. So far the other three are holding but I am beginning to wonder about how good it is long-term to have the valve pin always depressed (so that the caps can read the tire pressure). I guess we'll see. At least when the one valve cap blew off, it failed "safe" and didn't deflate the tire.

Reply to
Robert Green

Tony Hwang posted

Reply to