Re-hanging gate

Half of a wooden gate on my driveway came off the hinges. A neighbor is going (I hope!) to help me re-hang it this weekend, as it is too heavy for moi alone.
Question: "Intuitively" I feel the gate should be braced in closed position before drilling and installing new hinges. My thinking is that if the new hinges are misplaced, the two parts of the gate will not meet properly.
I am a low-skills critter, so I hope somebody understands what I'm talking about and can give me input.
Tx in advance.
Aspasia
aspasia wrote:

If it just "came off the hinges", why don't you just put it back on them rather than installing new ones?
Or, were you trying to say that the hinges broke or their screws pulled out?
If the latter, then yes, holding the gate in the correct position would certainly help, assuming the hinges you are using can have screws tightened through them while the gate is in its closed position, and not like common door hinges where you can't.
HTH,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Yes, that's what happened - screws pulled out and hinges (not put on by me - not sufficiently heavy duty) warped and twisted.

Mmmm...will take a look tomorrow in daylight and check on that aspect. Off the top, I think it can be done.
(Is there an Internet acronym for "off the top of my head"?)
Tx
Aspasia
aspasia wrote:

Soitanly!