Re-hanging an uneven door

Hi,
What is the best way to rehang an uneven door so it will close properly instead of having to lift it up about 3/8" for it to close?
Thanks
Jeff
Couple of ways.
Depending on how the door is hanging, you can try shiming or morticing the door hinges. If that does not work, for pre-hung doors , I usally take of the casings and reshim to plumb.

I would think that the solution involves fixing the frame. Specifically adding and removing shims as necessary.
jeff wrote:

You didn't say specifically what part of the door is keeping it from closing without a boost, but...
Can you live with the looks of just trimming off the parts of the door which touch/drag and keep it from closing?
If everything else is solid, the hinge screws are tight, etc., but the structure has sagged or shifted and caused the problem, then trimming the door may be your easiest solution.
HTH,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

planing it that the problem was due to a loose top hinge which causes the door to sag downwards... you may want to check this before planing the door or shimming the frame.