Re-dye leather couch

I just bought a used, pretty old leather couch. It's not high quality leather.
There are a bunch of stains on it, and I think the best thing to do would be to re-color the whole thing to a darker color. I don't need to match any colors, or have it look professional. I'd just like the whole couch to be a darker color so it shows the stains less.
Any suggestions for what products to use to accomplish this?
A few people I spoke with warned that if I dyed it, the color would bleed on clothes, especially if the clothes were at all sweaty. Is there some product to seal the dye in? Is this something I should worry about?
Maybe the solution isn't to dye it, but to put some type of "paint" on it?
Any help will be appreciated!
Thanks much
<< Any suggestions for what products to use to accomplish this? >>
First people to talk to would be auto upholstery experts They deal with seating repairs and modifications routinely. Anything that works for them should work well for you. Next try a leather specialty shop or even shoe repair. Again, their products have years of testing behind them. Good luck.
Joe
Ask a pro. It takes materials made for the job. Frankly, they may be able to do a cleaning job, that would be better. Don't try a paint and a straight dye, is not likely to cover over stains, only make them and the rest a different, but not matching color.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
I have never used this company, but you can learn a lot just by reading their site. http://www.leatherworldtech.com /