Rayovac batteries - leak problems? (2024 Update)

I've found the heavy duty cells don't last very long -- in use, or in storage.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Why didn't you take notes? Shame on you.

Reply to
Vic Smith

It's been my experience "most" leakers are well past their "best before" date and/or have been left either significantly discharged or in high temperature storage conditions for some time. (or possible suffered a "hard freeze")

Reply to
clare

In use they provide high current for a short time - not very good for low current use like electronics, but pretty good for high current use like toys and flashlights.

Reply to
clare

Vic Smith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

And filed them, carefully indexed, next to the computer, in case anyone here might ask. That's the least you could do for us. After all, we're all just trying to help.

Reply to
KenK

I never knew freezing had any effect ? ? ?

Reply to
Paintedcow

Silly cow!

I had brand new copper tops in a maglite. It was 0-dark-thirty and was jes below freezing and my maglite would not go on. New batteries and they were dead! ....at below freezing temps. I changed to Energizers and never had that problem again.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Just cause I knew it would..... uh, don't want to ruin my reputation as a friendly and lovable guy.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The articles I've read say pretty much opposite of what you wrote.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon
[snip]

"heavy duty". One of those phrases that used to mean better. Now it's on the low end.

BTW, I remember the "king size" soft drinks from the sixties. 10 ounce bottles, smaller than the regular ones now.

There's also "deluxe" in the name of cheap junk.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

From the "battery university" site Alkaline batteries are easy to store. For best results, keep the cells at cool room temperature and at a relative humidity of about 50 percent. Do not freeze alkaline cells, or any battery, as this may change the molecular structure.

From Energizer:

  1. Is it a good idea to store batteries in a refrigerator or freezer?

No, storage in a refrigerator or freezer is not required or recommended for batteries produced today. Cold temperature storage can in fact harm batteries if condensation results in corroded contacts or label or seal damage due to extreme temperature storage. To maximize performance and shelf life, store batteries at normal room temperatures (68°F to 78°F or 20°C to 25°C) with moderated humidity levels (35 to 65% RH).

Notice the reference to "seal damage" - which can cause leakage.

From the tool Guyd site: In general, alkaline batteries perform very poorly in cold weather. As alkaline batteries are engineered with a water-based electrolyte, cold near-freezing point temperatures can lead to reduced ion mobility which slows down the chemical reactions that provide electrical battery power. This leads to a drop in performance, runtime, or both.

In some cases, cold temperatures can cause alkaline batteries to burst and leak.

Reply to
clare

The "heavy duty" carbon zinc Chloride battery is a different animal than the old zinc carbon/manganese dioxide LeXlanche battery and puts out about 3 times the capacity, longer life, and less likelihood of leakage

They have a longer shelf life, but a lower output/in-use life than alkalines.

I've found for things like flashlights that sit most of their life but need to work when you need them, Carbon/zinc chloride batteries are best. For things that are used every day - low current/light duty use like clocks and remote controls alkalines are better.

Just my experience. And yes - a fresh alkaline will outperform a fresh "heavy duty" battery when it comes to hours of output from a flashlight - but put that flashlight away after half an hour of use and go back to it a year later - - - -

Reply to
clare

Again, that's backwards of my experience. I've found, and read, that alkalines have much higher capacity and much longer shelf life. One time for some thing to do, I did mix and match alkalines and carbon zincs. I found alkalines last four times longer. Both in low and high drain applications.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well I have a big box of "heavy duty" batteries that have been "on the shelf" for ofer 5 years and are still in perfect operating condition......

Reply to
clare

If they are (which I doubt), it doesn't prove anything.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Except it disproves your assertion that they don't last long in storage.

Reply to
clare

replying to Jan Philips, jt wrote: Just found this forum. I realize the thread is old but I believe my experience is relevant. Last week I tossed the second Mag Lite (3 D cell) flashlight that Rayovac batteries ruined. This time was a repeat of the first time, the center cell went bad and leaked and swelled - sort of welded to the flashlight body. Like the first time, slamming the tube on the top of my workbench eventually freed the battery but the switch shifts in the process and flashlight was ruined. Having to pop for another MagLite pissed me off.

If it was just the 2 flashlights (about 10 years apart) I probably wouldn't be taking the time to even write this note, but during that time frame there were other Rayovac leaks - the LED light set, the camera, and the rec room remote control, and the battery organizer. All had Rayovacs (but at least for those the damage was not beyond repair and I was able to remove the batteries in those and clean the equipment up). However, I'm fed up with having to spend my time to fix problems caused by leaky Rayovac batteries and having to spend money to replace Mag Lites. Plus I have a bunch of the batteries that I now afraid to us.

I don't have receipts but I'm disgusted enough that sent a note to Rayovac - we'll see what they say/do.

Reply to
jt

Slow learner??? You have a problem with Ray-O-Vac batteries 10 years ago - you keep buying them - you continue having problems - and still you buy a large quantity of them AGAIN - and have more problems.

What am I missing here?? How old are the "bunch of the batteries that I now afraid to use"? Hopefully not from the same brick you started with 10 years ago!!.

Reply to
clare

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 17:44:01 +0000, jt wrote in

And you keep using Rayovac because that's all you are allowed to buy?

Reply to
VinnyB

No, because they are CHEAP. (although definitely, in his experience, not inexpensive)

Reply to
clare