Rayovac batteries - leak problems? (2024 Update)

Not pretty. Did they both leak? What brand is the one on the right?

Reply to
Jan Philips

Yep, both leaked. The one on the right is an Energizer.

Reply to
Ron

might be helpful to mention the timeframe. How many years were they in the flashlight? What's the expiration date printed on the leaky cells?

Reply to
mike

At least two years, maybe 3 or 4 (estimating).

I don't know - I couldn't get them out of the flashlight barrel.

Reply to
Jan Philips

Smitty Two wrote in news:prestwhich- snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I've had good luck -so far- with Ray-o-Vac batteries. Had to switch from Fuji Novel after they apparently changed manufacture,and out of a whole 24 pack of AA's,half in the package were leaking well before the "use by" date,and not even put into use yet.They used to be very reliable. ;-( I've had lots of Duracells leak,a few Everready,but Harbor Freight "Thunderbolt" brand were the worst.

Plus,I'm switching over to rechargeable NiMH AA's where possible. They don't seem to have the self-discharge rate I expected,MUCH less than NiCd.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I've been using "UltiTech" batteries from Lowes now for a while; $20 (AA and AAA) per hundred. They seem to be every bit as good as Duracell and the bunny brand.

NiMH was supposed to be a lot worse. For $.20 apiece I don't bother with rechargeable (some applications don't like them).

Reply to
krw

I have had 3 separate incidents in the last few months with leaking Ray-o-vac 'D' cells. The batteries had date codes of 2014. In one case it damaged a vintage 40 year old Sony portable radio. I have not had any trouble with their other battery sizes, only the 'D" cells. I even had one package go bad before I even opened it. It is still in the plastic. I am an antique radio collector and have now removed all Ray-o-vac 'D' size cells from my radio collection.

Phil Vourtsis

Reply to
pvourtsis

You know, we had a pretty hot summer and I wonder if your batteries may have sat in a hot delivery truck for a little too long?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

-- Pay a about $1.25 more - Rayovac Batteries last only about 1/2 as long as Duracell or Energizer. So you will ultimately be paying almost double.

Reply to
Proud American

Before alkaline batteries, leakage was pretty common. Since Alkaline batteries became the norm. I've lost several devices to Rayovac but never when using Duracell or Ever Ready. I'll never buy them again regardless of the price.

Reply to
UnclKracker

I sure have (both Internet radios, recently). They all suck.

Reply to
krw

I will not use Ray-O-Vac batteries, specifically because of the leakage problem. When I was much younger (I'm now 63) I had several devices ruined by Ray-O-Vac batteries. I recently bought a Ray-O-Vac LED flashlight at Big Lots. Took out the Ray-O-Vac batteries that came in it and replaced them with Duracell Ultras. It's a great flashlight, but I knew its life expectancy would be radically shortened if I left the Ray-O-Vac batteries in it.

I have actually found one brand of battery that is worse than Ray-O-Vac (which I consider a dubious achievement in itself) and that is the batteries sold at IKEA. I would advise everyone to stay clear of Ray-O-Vac and IKEA batteries if they want to prevent damage to any of their devices.

Ray-O-Vac batteries are the most leaky of any battery I've come across.

Reply to
whealerman

All disposable alkaline batteries leak. Never seen a brand that didn't. I buy Ray-O-Vac alkalines because they are made in USA.

I suspect the closest you'll get to leak proof AAA, AA, C and D size batteries is the NiMH type.

Reply to
Marvel

I caught some sales and used coupons, so bought more batteries than I needed for a while. I've had Harbor Freight AA cells (alkalines) leak in the package.

Have also had several packages of Rayovac D cells leak, new in he package.

Also had some Energizers leak.

Some people swear by Duracell. their six volt square battery with the spring terminals contains four D cells. Know this cause I've pulled two of them apart. In both cases, one D cell was dead, the other three were fine.

All three batteries, the company was very nice about replacing them. One confirmed the codes on the cells, and mailed out replacement cells. Another sent a bunch of coupons. HF let me swap em out for a new package of cells.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

replying to Jan Philips, Raymond wrote: I've had the same problem. Totally ruined my Maglite D cell flashlight and the AA cells leaked in two of my Fenix LED flashlights. I managed to save them at least. Just threw all my remaining RayOVac batteries in the trash and picked up some Duracells.

Reply to
Raymond

Duracells will leak too after they are partially discharged.

Reply to
Tony

IIRC, I had some Duracell D size batteries leak, new in the package. Quality of every thing is gone to naught. I've also had Rayovac D cells leak, also new in the package. And had Energizers leak. Again, new in the package.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Strange thing is the only "brand name" battery I have had leak at all in the last 10 years was a "coppertop". Just a wee bit of green/white fuzz on both ends. No swelling - and easily cleaned up.

The secret, I guess, is to NEVER leave batteries in anything un-attended for any lenth of time. I also had a set of off-brand original equipment batteries in a TV remote leak. The TV is 4 years old and one day the remote (used daily) just stopped working. I pulled the batteries and they were both leaking (again- just a bit of green/white fuzz on both ends) Both sets of leakers were aaa size.

I've also had a couple of coin batteries "leak" the same way. All have been at least 3 years old.

Reply to
clare

What was the expiry date on the batteries? How long past EOL were they? I havw a box full of cheap "Chateau" brand non-alkaline batteries that are over 5 years old (were leftover stock from a friend's "dollar store" that he closed at least 5 years ago) and NONE have leaked, and well over 80% tested fully charged when I got them a year ago. c, d, and 9 volt.

Reply to
clare

Can't remember, and didn't take any notes. Sorry.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon