Rayovac batteries - leak problems?

Page 2 of 3
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 17:44:01 +0000, jt

Slow learner??? You have a problem with Ray-O-Vac batteries 10 years ago - you keep buying them - you continue having problems - and still you buy a large quantity of them AGAIN - and have more problems.
What am I missing here?? How old are the "bunch of the batteries that I now afraid to use"? Hopefully not from the same brick you started with 10 years ago!!.
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 17:44:01 +0000, jt

And you keep using Rayovac because that's all you are allowed to buy?

No, because they are CHEAP. (although definitely, in his experience, not inexpensive)

Just happen to check the batteries in my Coleman lantern today and this is what I found.
http://i55.tinypic.com/r2oldh.jpg

Not pretty. Did they both leak? What brand is the one on the right?
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Yep, both leaked. The one on the right is an Energizer.

I've had good luck -so far- with Ray-o-Vac batteries. Had to switch from Fuji Novel after they apparently changed manufacture,and out of a whole 24 pack of AA's,half in the package were leaking well before the "use by" date,and not even put into use yet.They used to be very reliable. ;-( I've had lots of Duracells leak,a few Everready,but Harbor Freight "Thunderbolt" brand were the worst.
Plus,I'm switching over to rechargeable NiMH AA's where possible. They don't seem to have the self-discharge rate I expected,MUCH less than NiCd.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I've been using "UltiTech" batteries from Lowes now for a while; $20 (AA and AAA) per hundred. They seem to be every bit as good as Duracell and the bunny brand.

NiMH was supposed to be a lot worse. For $.20 apiece I don't bother with rechargeable (some applications don't like them).
Jan Philips wrote:

might be helpful to mention the timeframe. How many years were they in the flashlight? What's the expiration date printed on the leaky cells?

At least two years, maybe 3 or 4 (estimating).

I don't know - I couldn't get them out of the flashlight barrel.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

I have had 3 separate incidents in the last few months with leaking Ray-o-vac 'D' cells. The batteries had date codes of 2014. In one case it damaged a vintage 40 year old Sony portable radio. I have not had any trouble with their other battery sizes, only the 'D" cells. I even had one package go bad before I even opened it. It is still in the plastic. I am an antique radio collector and have now removed all Ray-o-vac 'D' size cells from my radio collection.
Phil Vourtsis
--
pvourtsis
Message origin: TRAVEL.com
On 12/29/2010 12:23 AM, pvourtsis wrote:

You know, we had a pretty hot summer and I wonder if your batteries may have sat in a hot delivery truck for a little too long?
TDD
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/rayovac-batteries-leak-problems-609583-.htm Proud American wrote:
Jan Philips wrote:

-- Pay a about $1.25 more - Rayovac Batteries last only about 1/2 as long as Duracell or Energizer. So you will ultimately be paying almost double.
replying to Jan Philips, UnclKracker wrote:

Before alkaline batteries, leakage was pretty common. Since Alkaline batteries became the norm. I've lost several devices to Rayovac but never when using Duracell or Ever Ready. I'll never buy them again regardless of the price.
On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 16:44:01 +0000, UnclKracker

I sure have (both Internet radios, recently). They all suck.
replying to Jan Philips, whealerman wrote:

I will not use Ray-O-Vac batteries, specifically because of the leakage problem. When I was much younger (I'm now 63) I had several devices ruined by Ray-O-Vac batteries. I recently bought a Ray-O-Vac LED flashlight at Big Lots. Took out the Ray-O-Vac batteries that came in it and replaced them with Duracell Ultras. It's a great flashlight, but I knew its life expectancy would be radically shortened if I left the Ray-O-Vac batteries in it.
I have actually found one brand of battery that is worse than Ray-O-Vac (which I consider a dubious achievement in itself) and that is the batteries sold at IKEA. I would advise everyone to stay clear of Ray-O-Vac and IKEA batteries if they want to prevent damage to any of their devices.
Ray-O-Vac batteries are the most leaky of any battery I've come across.
On 1/18/2015 1:44 PM, whealerman wrote:

All disposable alkaline batteries leak. Never seen a brand that didn't. I buy Ray-O-Vac alkalines because they are made in USA.
I suspect the closest you'll get to leak proof AAA, AA, C and D size batteries is the NiMH type.
On 1/18/2015 1:44 PM, whealerman wrote:

I caught some sales and used coupons, so bought more batteries than I needed for a while. I've had Harbor Freight AA cells (alkalines) leak in the package.
Have also had several packages of Rayovac D cells leak, new in he package.
Also had some Energizers leak.
Some people swear by Duracell. their six volt square battery with the spring terminals contains four D cells. Know this cause I've pulled two of them apart. In both cases, one D cell was dead, the other three were fine.
All three batteries, the company was very nice about replacing them. One confirmed the codes on the cells, and mailed out replacement cells. Another sent a bunch of coupons. HF let me swap em out for a new package of cells.
replying to Jan Philips, Raymond wrote: I've had the same problem. Totally ruined my Maglite D cell flashlight and the AA cells leaked in two of my Fenix LED flashlights. I managed to save them at least. Just threw all my remaining RayOVac batteries in the trash and picked up some Duracells.
On 03/25/2016 04:44 AM, Raymond wrote:

Duracells will leak too after they are partially discharged.