Rats walking power lines onto house

Welp. Just as soon as I thought I got rid of the little critters, I watched a couple of them climb a tree, jump on the power line and run onto the roof. If it were one or two trees, I'd try putting something around the trunks to keep them out, but would not work here.

So I'm wondering if there's something to throw over the power line that the wouldn't cross?

Or any other ideas?

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Yike! Rats? Here in Alberta we don't have rats, just mice. Rat patrol spends millions to keep the province rat free.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I'd call the power company. This must have happened before to someone near you.

Working on power lines can be dangerous to humans.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

watched a couple of them climb a tree, jump on the power line and run onto the roof. If it were one or two trees, I'd try putting something around the trunks to keep them out, but would not work here.

that the wouldn't cross?

I saw all kinds of gadget online but they are all selling their own stuff. I'm hoping that someone here may have found a solution for this.

Some I have seen are essentially 2 inch thin-wall plastic pipes that spin when animals try to cross them. My thought about that is I can see them sticking to the wire after being in the weather for some time.

I'm think more like the kind of wire spike strips used to keep birds from landing on safety rails might be a permanent fix. Or may a combination of the two - spikes on a plastic pipe.

Or maybe just a rap soaked in rat poison draped over the wire...

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney
2$ snipped-for-privacy@fx04.iad...

watched a couple of them climb a tree, jump on the power line and run onto the roof. If it were one or two trees, I'd try putting something around t he trunks to keep them out, but would not work here.

at the wouldn't cross?

. I'm hoping that someone here may have found a solution for this.

when animals try to cross them. My thought about that is I can see them s ticking to the wire after being in the weather for some time.

landing on safety rails might be a permanent fix. Or may a combination of the two - spikes on a plastic pipe.

I'm pretty sure you meant a "rag" not a rap, but I have an even better idea :

A *rat* soaked in rat poison draped over the wire. :-)

"Is this what you want, punk? Huh? You want some of this? Come on, keep walking!"

Reply to
DerbyDad03

hed a couple of them climb a tree, jump on the power line and run onto the roof. If it were one or two trees, I'd try putting something around the t runks to keep them out, but would not work here.

he wouldn't cross?

I feel your pain!

I've got raccoons coming into my garage through the cat door and eating/spilling the cat food. I've been recording them with a security camera to try to figure out how to dissuade them from this activity.

Blocking the cat door for about a week seemed to discourage them but it als o prevented my cat from using the garage at night. Once they stopped coming around I unblocked the door, but now, after more than a week of no activity , they are back.

I put the food up on a center-legged table that the cat can jump onto, but last night one of the critters was just tall enough to knock the food onto the floor. It took some effort, but the critter was persistent. The table is adjustable so tonight I'm going to raise it up a notch so the critters can't stand on their hind legs and support themselves with their front legs like they did last night. It'll be interesting to see what they try next. Maybe I'll see one raccoon standing on the back of another or one of them giving the other an old fashioned "boost". ;-)

I may have to eliminate the cat's midnight snacks for a while.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

No wires or cables over hang in our neighborhood. Every thing is underground.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Including the rats.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The rats can climb the power pole and get on the wire. There are no trees near any of our power lines but you still see a rat up there, the bushy tailed ones and the slick tailed ones.,

The only way to keep them out of the house is to plug up all the holes.

Reply to
gfretwell

If there are no trees near the pole, apply a metal cone type thing on the pole. Make one, or I think they can be boughten to keep squirrels off bird feeders. Greasing the pole miht help too. Of course if they climb another pole that wont work.

As much as I hate rats, I'd say to expose some of the hot wires and watch them fry, but thats dangerous for you to do and could cause a power outage. I do like the idea if a tube over the wires, which rotates and the damn rat may fall to it's death. (hopefully). piece of 1.5 or 2" PVC pipe would work. Cut a foot or so piece, but it in half (the long way). Then put it over the wires and tape the halves back together.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Board over the door, and shoot the cat?

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Wires on poles might not be insulated.

Please take a Youtube video of your self exposing some of the hot wires behind your home, so we know how to do that.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Excellent point. A few years ago, the local varmint inspector recommended plugging holes hard to patch up with copper scrubbing pads which won't rust. Said to push them up under the eaves in corners and any other places they are likely to try and get through even though there was no hole. These are great people to have come over - they have seen everything in the area and love to tell the stories if someone is interested.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Check this out. Disclaimers and warnings - not for power lines.

Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Ain't shooting the cat.

I have a method to block the door, which is how I discouraged them in the first place. They stayed away for about 2 weeks after I unblocked it, but they are back.

The single leg table didn't work either. The first night one of them grabbed the edge of the table and hoisted himself right up. If I get around to putting it on youtube, I'll post the link back here. They came back later that night and because the food container was pulled closer to the edge from the earlier meal, he was able to pull it down onto the floor.

Last night, I raised the table about 6" and also removed the runners along the edge that the critter had used to hold onto while he hoisted himself up.

This morning the food container was on the floor again. I haven't watched the DVD yet, so I'm really curious as to how he was able to reach it. They could barely reach the top of the table the first night, so I'm really curious as to how they reached it after I raised the table. I'll find out tonight when I watch the DVD.

Reply to
DerbyDad03