outside on their run. Yuck! Trim tree branches that touch or hang over
roof. Close up trash containers, etc. You in warm climate? I knew for
a while we had an occasional visitor that traversed the downspout next
to our patio; they would "drop in" once in a while. One morning, out
for coffee, I saw one scoot across the flower bed and go UP the
downspout! Around these parts, they don't like to be on the ground, and
their runs are usually along fences, tree branches, etc.
Are you sure its rats, Ive had Flying Squirrels running in my ceilings
and walls as they go out at night, Mothballs in a sock with a string
attached for later retrieval, and a large bucket of amonia in my attic
made them leave, finding and sealing their holes fixed it. Gee Twice I
had them in the house and caught them alive, One just sat on my
fireplace 3ft away from me, they are tame and not scared of humans as
they never see us, they are nocturnal and common in many areas. It
could also be squirrels or chipmunks, Rats are usualy not in ceilings
running around, flying squirells are. You need to find their entrance,
seal it only after you evict them.
:) Rats are usualy not in ceilings
:) running around, flying squirells are. You need to find their entrance,
:) seal it only after you evict them.
You may used to dealing with Norway rats...the attic area of a home is
quite common for roof rats...it's part of their territory. If there is
an opening they will get in and explore around, usually at night. Flying
squirrels would be another nocturnal pest if they are located in ones
infestation in attic spaces. They also had open trash containers in
yard. Anyone with fruit trees will probably find signs of them, but
most folks are meticulous about picking up dropped fruit. Most folks
keep trees trimmed away from roofs, but some don't bother. I have found
dead rats beneath palms or at bottom of downspouts a few times.
:) best to find the entrance(s)...if you can repair...do so, otherwise try
:) some hd steel wool balls....is a snap!
Avoid just using steel wool on the exterior openings..over time they
will rust then crate a running stain on the exterior of the structure.
Maybe pack the exterior openings with the SW then cover that with
Poisoning the little critters is the way to go. Get a rat poison that
dehydrates the rat causing death and they will leave in search of water. If
one should die on your property it won't smell because it will be
dehydrated. Good luck.
:) Poisoning the little critters is the way to go. Get a rat poison that
:) dehydrates the rat causing death and they will leave in search of water. If
:) one should die on your property it won't smell because it will be
:) dehydrated. Good luck.
Except.... there isn't such a bait. Wish there was a bait to guarantee
no calls about a dead smell. At least those type of calls are rare a far
The dehydration theory is a nice example of what happens when people who
don't know try to explain something they observe:
The normal MOA of the normal anticoagulant rodenticide is that due to
the suppressed coagulation internal hemorrhages don't stop, the poisoned
animal bleeds profusely into guts and joints.
Fact 1 : the blood is no longer concentrated inside the blood vessels
but dispersed throughout the body
Fact 2 : Blood is moisture
Fact 3 : With reference to their individual mass rodents have a HUGE
What happens? Usually they dry out before bacteria can start their job
to decompose them. Effect: no smell.
Antworten bitte an: pco<AT>gmx<DOT>net oder in der NG
reply to pco<AT>gmx<DOT>net or to the ng, please
had an outdoor storage cubby with a poorly-fit Z-strapped plywood door, so
every year when it got cold, mice moved in. I dreaded the annual cleanout,
because there was always 1 or 2 feet-up little corpses to suprise me, in the
niches between the crates and such. (I gross out easily.) I never put out
poison, so I assume hot or cold weather killed them. I could smell the piss
and turds and chewed cardboard, but never noticed any decomp. (Only
experienced <that> sickly sweet smell once or twice, and you never forget
:) Rat Attack is a non-warfarin rat poison that will dehydrate rats.
Never heard of it..curious to what the active ingredient is. Mice are
one of the few animals that can live their life without drinking water
so a rodent bait to make rodents go for a drink wouldn't be an answer in
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.