Rats in the ceiling - repelling?

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.au wrote:

outside on their run. Yuck! Trim tree branches that touch or hang over roof. Close up trash containers, etc. You in warm climate? I knew for a while we had an occasional visitor that traversed the downspout next to our patio; they would "drop in" once in a while. One morning, out for coffee, I saw one scoot across the flower bed and go UP the downspout! Around these parts, they don't like to be on the ground, and their runs are usually along fences, tree branches, etc.
Are you sure its rats, Ive had Flying Squirrels running in my ceilings and walls as they go out at night, Mothballs in a sock with a string attached for later retrieval, and a large bucket of amonia in my attic made them leave, finding and sealing their holes fixed it. Gee Twice I had them in the house and caught them alive, One just sat on my fireplace 3ft away from me, they are tame and not scared of humans as they never see us, they are nocturnal and common in many areas. It could also be squirrels or chipmunks, Rats are usualy not in ceilings running around, flying squirells are. You need to find their entrance, seal it only after you evict them.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net says... :) Rats are usualy not in ceilings :) running around, flying squirells are. You need to find their entrance, :) seal it only after you evict them. :) :) You may used to dealing with Norway rats...the attic area of a home is quite common for roof rats...it's part of their territory. If there is an opening they will get in and explore around, usually at night. Flying squirrels would be another nocturnal pest if they are located in ones area.
--
Lar

to email...get rid of the BUGS
Lar wrote:

infestation in attic spaces. They also had open trash containers in yard. Anyone with fruit trees will probably find signs of them, but most folks are meticulous about picking up dropped fruit. Most folks keep trees trimmed away from roofs, but some don't bother. I have found dead rats beneath palms or at bottom of downspouts a few times.
best to find the entrance(s)...if you can repair...do so, otherwise try some hd steel wool balls....is a snap!
Norminn wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says... :) best to find the entrance(s)...if you can repair...do so, otherwise try :) some hd steel wool balls....is a snap! :) :) :) Avoid just using steel wool on the exterior openings..over time they will rust then crate a running stain on the exterior of the structure. Maybe pack the exterior openings with the SW then cover that with caulking.
--
Lar

to email...get rid of the BUGS

keep using the hole. I like galvanized sheet metal or 1/16" aluminum.
wouldn't it be better to fix the problem...otherwise it will be a reoccuring event
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.au wrote:

Poisoning the little critters is the way to go. Get a rat poison that dehydrates the rat causing death and they will leave in search of water. If one should die on your property it won't smell because it will be dehydrated. Good luck.

says... :) Poisoning the little critters is the way to go. Get a rat poison that :) dehydrates the rat causing death and they will leave in search of water. If :) one should die on your property it won't smell because it will be :) dehydrated. Good luck. :) :) :) Except.... there isn't such a bait. Wish there was a bait to guarantee no calls about a dead smell. At least those type of calls are rare a far between.
--
Lar

to email...get rid of the BUGS

Don't count on this advice. I had one croak in the low point of the attic and it took months to get rid of the smell. I was thinking about cutting a hole in the roof to find it.
With all due respect, there is no such product. Most rodenticides work by thinning the blood and creating heart failure. The dehydration theory is a wive's tale.

Glenda wrote:

The dehydration theory is a nice example of what happens when people who don't know try to explain something they observe:
The normal MOA of the normal anticoagulant rodenticide is that due to the suppressed coagulation internal hemorrhages don't stop, the poisoned animal bleeds profusely into guts and joints.
Fact 1 : the blood is no longer concentrated inside the blood vessels but dispersed throughout the body
Fact 2 : Blood is moisture
Fact 3 : With reference to their individual mass rodents have a HUGE body surface
What happens? Usually they dry out before bacteria can start their job to decompose them. Effect: no smell.
Cheers, Uli
--
Antworten bitte an: pco<AT>gmx<DOT>net oder in der NG
reply to pco<AT>gmx<DOT>net or to the ng, please

had an outdoor storage cubby with a poorly-fit Z-strapped plywood door, so every year when it got cold, mice moved in. I dreaded the annual cleanout, because there was always 1 or 2 feet-up little corpses to suprise me, in the niches between the crates and such. (I gross out easily.) I never put out poison, so I assume hot or cold weather killed them. I could smell the piss and turds and chewed cardboard, but never noticed any decomp. (Only experienced <that> sickly sweet smell once or twice, and you never forget it.)
aem sends...
Rat Attack is a non-warfarin rat poison that will dehydrate rats.

says... :) Rat Attack is a non-warfarin rat poison that will dehydrate rats. :) :)
Never heard of it..curious to what the active ingredient is. Mice are one of the few animals that can live their life without drinking water so a rodent bait to make rodents go for a drink wouldn't be an answer in many cases.
--
Lar

to email...get rid of the BUGS
Kudos! You really know your stuff.
wrote in message

Do you have a link to a site with a label or a MSDS sheet on it because I can't find one anywhere?
--
I wish you all the best
Tim Wise