Rats in the ceiling - repelling?

Page 1 of 2
Is there a way to repel rats from inside your ceiling space? I have heard that possums dislike naphthalene and camphor. Is there anything that rats dislike? I am definitely not putting rat poison in the ceiling, so the little critters die in some hard-to-reach wall cavity, and then perfume the whole house.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.au says... :) Is there a way to repel rats from inside your ceiling space? I have :) heard that possums dislike naphthalene and camphor. Is there anything :) that rats dislike? I am definitely not putting rat poison in the :) ceiling, so the little critters die in some hard-to-reach wall cavity, :) and then perfume the whole house. :) :)
Maybe try placing peanut butter or other bait on an un-set(SP) trap or trap(S). After a couple of days of something eating the bait set the trap(S). With the perfume of death, if it occurs, you at least know it will be gone in about 10 days... can't be said with the odors of mothball. Can linger around months and costs lots for the clean up.
--
Lar

to email...get rid of the BUGS
Tying raw bacon works wonders in my experience. Also, anchoring the spring traps will prevent a larger specimen from dragging trap and all away.
says...

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.au wrote:

Small rodent cage with PB then a washtub full of water.
| Is there a way to repel rats from inside your ceiling space? I have | heard that possums dislike naphthalene and camphor. Is there anything | that rats dislike? I am definitely not putting rat poison in the | ceiling, so the little critters die in some hard-to-reach wall cavity, | and then perfume the whole house. |
trap them:
http://www.havahart.com/nuisance/critters/critters_rats.asp
often you can also borrow these traps from your local public works office.
Figaro wrote:

I guess you are serious? Humane treatment of rats?
Just like humane treatment of plane bombers from 9/11?
I thought the spring traps sounded like the best idea. If you use havahart traps, please extinguish the rats with auto exhaust before releasing them.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.au wrote:

Poison is the most effective. Traps are available for those who object. Live traps sound like your preferred option.

Poison is not the most effective. Rats and mice will both gather poison bait and horde it. You may think that since all the poison is gone that the problem is solved, but its not. It could be quite some time before the poison is actually eaten. Also - most poison is an anti-coagulant. This means that the rodent will "bleed-out". However, the antidote is vitamin-k... which is very high in dog food.
The most effective way is to find how the rats are getting in to the house and BLOCK THE ENTRANCES!
Do this by using hardware cloth (available at most hardware stores), copper (not steel) wool, construction adhesive, concrete anchors and medium gauge wire. A staple gun may come in handy too.
Then all you have to do is set the traps to catch what is trapped inside. Once the ones inside are caught -poof- the problem is solved. Just go back and check the "rodent exclusion" twice a year and repair it as necessary.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says... :) Poison is not the most effective. Rats and mice will both gather :) poison bait and horde it. You may think that since all the poison is :) gone that the problem is solved, but its not. It could be quite some :) time before the poison is actually eaten. Also - most poison is an :) anti-coagulant. This means that the rodent will "bleed-out". However, :) the antidote is vitamin-k... which is very high in dog food. :) :)
In my experience, baits are surely the most effective... to keep from rodents gathering the baits, use blocks that are secured down rather than "pellets" that can be easily moved. The vitamin K in dog foods is a different form of what is used for the rodenticides antidote...so puppy can have a shiny coat and have no fear of saving unwanted rodent pests.
--
Lar

to email...get rid of the BUGS

I hear they are particularly averse to cats. Poison free and the cat gets a free meal and entertainment to boot!

Search RAT ZAPPER
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.au wrote:

Think cat. For rats, think BIG cat.

This kind of dumb reply is just ignorant.
On 9 Sep 2006 18:14:17 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.au wrote:

If you don't find and repair the hole they are using you are wasting your time. Then trap them out. These "cat" answers are from people who don't really want to get rid of the rats. They just want an excuse fior a cat. A cat may catch a few but it won't ever get them all. Rats can go where a cat can't and they evolved to survive.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

You may be right. But:
"Born on April 21 1963, Towser lived at Glenturret Distillery for almost 24 years and caught a total of 28,899 mice (pity the person who kept score!) plus an uncounted number of rats, rabbits and pheasants in her life. Her tally of mice earned her a place in the Guinness Book of Records as the World Mouse-catching Champion."
Now had I been Towser's, uh, "supervisor," I would have hired a helper! But at an average of 3.5 mice/day, she had to have been making a dent.
Further, if, as you say, rats evolved to survive, it would eventually dawn on them that a monster lurks in this house and move on. The fact this thought didn't occur to the mice at Glenturret is no doubt because they were stupid Scottish mice.

I doube Towser ever made a dent in that mouse population either. As Lars said attic rats are usually "roof rats" (rattus rattus) AKA fruit rats, tree rats or "Palmetto Squirrels" to those who want a nice spin on the holes in their citrus for the snowbirds. They are very good climbers and they will manage to stay away from a cat to the point that the cat will not significantly affect the population. They could probably live their whole life without touching the ground. Rats breed up to the food supply. If you don't limit the food and the places they live you can have thousands of them in a pretty short period of time. Gestation is about 3 weeks and they can breed at 3 months old bearing a half dozen pups at a time. Do the math.

Man, I gotta get new glasses- when I first read the title for this thread, I got an instant visual flash of a bunch of rats doing a Special Forces style rope descent from the air grates and light fixtures, down to the sleeping human population below......
aem sends....
I was gonna ask if they had safety gear, and load rated caribeaners. Glad I wasn't the only one who had that line of thought.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.