Rats!

I have a rat that has taken up residence in my oven. I have no idea where these things came from as they had never been seen until about 3-4 months ago. The neighbors are having problems, too, starting about the same time. I've set traps and it doesn't fall for it. I got 1 about 2 months ago, but this other one won't get caught. I'm using the typical spring trap, I guess it's called, baited with peanut butter, which worked well on mice in the past, and I haven't seen a mouse in over a year. It's an older building in an older neighborhood. The worst part is when I turn on the oven it smells the place with the smell of rat urine, which is just disgusting. Once I get the rat, is the oven salvageable? I'm thinking not. I'm thinking it's a lost cause and I'll need to just get another one. Any suggestions on how to get this animal would be most appreciated.

Reply to
Paradox

In article , abd@

123.gov says... :) I'm thinking not. I'm thinking it's a :) lost cause and I'll need to just get another one. Any suggestions on how to :) get this animal would be most appreciated. :) :) You might try placing your bait on an unset trap, let them get used to the trap with food on it...can always try a different attractant, chocolate syrup works well...at some point you might look into placing rodent bait behind the stove if the trapping fails.
Reply to
Lar

Put out rat poison......

Reply to
Rob Gray

Clean up your garbage.

Reply to
Professor

Get a cat, but make sure it's one that likes ot eat mice (former feral or stray will usually do that). Mine even eats bugs! I think of him as cheap pest control.

Reply to
scott_z500

Unspayed females are the best hunters.

Reply to
Kathy

If neighbors have rats, too,then it is a city issue. Call your city building department or code enforcement.

Was there recent demolition of a nearby structure that drove them out of "old" habitat? Cold or warm climate?

Any signs on outside of building that the rat chewed it's way in? Gaps around foundation or roof?

Rats carry some serious dirt - I would get the situation taken care of pronto.

Reply to
Norminn

Why not make friends with your rat? You can name him "Mr. Jingles", and maybe teach him how to do some tricks. Or, sing the following every night, loud as you can:

Ben, the two of us need look no more... we both found what we were looking for.

Oh wait. I forgot the rats chewed Michael Jacksons face off when they found out he is a sick pedophile freak of nature.

So, on second thought, don't sing any MJ tunes to your rats. They will probably get mad.

But you could still name your rat "Mr. Jingles".

Reply to
Matt

Glue trap, accept no substitute. Just be sure to attach it to something so they don't drag it away. You can staple it in the middle of a big piece of cardboard

Reply to
Greg

Let me make a suggestion: Your rat might be wary of human smell on the trap, from you handling it.

Buy a new set of traps (cheap enough). Put on a pair of rubber dishwashing gloves before opening the package. Bait & set the traps wearing the gloves.

This approach worked for me, for what was apparently a very discriminating rodent.

Any suggestions on how to

Reply to
Robert Barr

"Professor" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

We once had this huge rat in the backyard. It must have dragged itself there after being poisoned by somebody else. The thing was bigger than a cat. My husband said it looks like the kind that hangs around the sewers. We have several creeks around here with tunnels under the roads. Marina

Reply to
Marina

I thought about that, but don't want a rotting rat carcass that I can't find stinking up the house for however long it takes to go away. It is an option, if all else fails, though.

Reply to
Paradox

Just like with Humans! Thats cool.

Reply to
Matt

"Norminn" wrote

This is a not-so-typical situation. It's an old commercial/residential building, in a mixed-use neighborhood, about 78 years old, in a rural area, next to a river. There are places all over the buildings where rodents could get in, and aside from the occasional mouse, rodents have never been a real problem. Set a trap or two, never see another one for 6 months or a year. Rats, on the other hand, seem to be much tougher to get rid of, and this is my first experience with them.

Here's the story. Several months ago, some guy about a block away opened a fish market. It failed within weeks, and he dumped a bunch of fish stuff on the banks of the river nearby (he's currently in trouble and facing prosecution, so I'm told). The dumping attracted flies and well, you get the idea. It was about this time that the rats showed up, and from talking to neighbors this was the first time for them, also. They seem to have mostly gone away but there are a few hanging around.

Reply to
Paradox

Why do glue traps work so well? I know it's just a rat, but I don't like the idea of it starving to death and prefer the spring traps to just kill them instantly.

I would like to know what the benefits to glue traps are, though. At this point I'm willing to do whatever works best.

Reply to
Paradox

That entered my mind at one point, but I didn't think it would be that big of a deal. Sounds like a good idea.

Reply to
Paradox

This all reminds me of the movie "Willard"

Reply to
RobertPatrick

That's what they make .45 caliber pistols for....

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Isn't there a Clint Eastwood western where he shoots a cockroach off the wall from across the room while in the bathtub?

Reply to
The Dave©

I think it was a scorpion??

Reply to