Rats!

Page 1 of 2
I have a rat that has taken up residence in my oven. I have no idea where these things came from as they had never been seen until about 3-4 months ago. The neighbors are having problems, too, starting about the same time. I've set traps and it doesn't fall for it. I got 1 about 2 months ago, but this other one won't get caught. I'm using the typical spring trap, I guess it's called, baited with peanut butter, which worked well on mice in the past, and I haven't seen a mouse in over a year. It's an older building in an older neighborhood. The worst part is when I turn on the oven it smells the place with the smell of rat urine, which is just disgusting. Once I get the rat, is the oven salvageable? I'm thinking not. I'm thinking it's a lost cause and I'll need to just get another one. Any suggestions on how to get this animal would be most appreciated.
123.gov says... :) I'm thinking not. I'm thinking it's a :) lost cause and I'll need to just get another one. Any suggestions on how to :) get this animal would be most appreciated. :) :) You might try placing your bait on an unset trap, let them get used to the trap with food on it...can always try a different attractant, chocolate syrup works well...at some point you might look into placing rodent bait behind the stove if the trapping fails.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
Paradox wrote:

Put out rat poison......

I thought about that, but don't want a rotting rat carcass that I can't find stinking up the house for however long it takes to go away. It is an option, if all else fails, though.
Clean up your garbage.
Get a cat, but make sure it's one that likes ot eat mice (former feral or stray will usually do that). Mine even eats bugs! I think of him as cheap pest control.

Unspayed females are the best hunters.
Just like with Humans! Thats cool.

We once had this huge rat in the backyard. It must have dragged itself there after being poisoned by somebody else. The thing was bigger than a cat. My husband said it looks like the kind that hangs around the sewers. We have several creeks around here with tunnels under the roads. Marina
This all reminds me of the movie "Willard"

That sounds like a possum to me....
mark
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote in

We have a lot of those,also. It was a huge sewer rat. ewwwwww. I saw it. ugh! A possum is kinda cute. My dog catches a few possums and it's funny to watch how they really do play dead. That other thing was some super sonic rat. Marina
Rats go where the food is. And where there are rats, there are very often dogs. Rats are copraphilic, they eat feces. They have to, they don't absorb the B vitamins well. Rats are like uninvited guests. They'll stay as long as you feed them. Their numbers will expand to accomodate the food supply. Stop feeding them, and they will resist moving. To the point of eating their young as a food source.
STOP FEEDING THEM.

Rats are very suspicious of new items in their environment. Many years ago there was a long interesting article in National Geo about rats.
I'm not sure where I learned this technique but it REALLY works, my son says it's not fair.
Whenever I've had to trap rats I used a spring trap (Victor).
The key is to bait the trap (I use peanut butter) but DON"T set it.
I do this for three or four nights. After giiving the rats 3 or 4 free meals, I bait and SET the traps. By this time they are no longer wary of the traps.
The first time I used this method I caught four rats with six traps in one night......the lot of them gone!
cheers Bob
Paradox wrote:

If neighbors have rats, too,then it is a city issue. Call your city building department or code enforcement.
Was there recent demolition of a nearby structure that drove them out of "old" habitat? Cold or warm climate?
Any signs on outside of building that the rat chewed it's way in? Gaps around foundation or roof?
Rats carry some serious dirt - I would get the situation taken care of pronto.
"Norminn" wrote

This is a not-so-typical situation. It's an old commercial/residential building, in a mixed-use neighborhood, about 78 years old, in a rural area, next to a river. There are places all over the buildings where rodents could get in, and aside from the occasional mouse, rodents have never been a real problem. Set a trap or two, never see another one for 6 months or a year. Rats, on the other hand, seem to be much tougher to get rid of, and this is my first experience with them.
Here's the story. Several months ago, some guy about a block away opened a fish market. It failed within weeks, and he dumped a bunch of fish stuff on the banks of the river nearby (he's currently in trouble and facing prosecution, so I'm told). The dumping attracted flies and well, you get the idea. It was about this time that the rats showed up, and from talking to neighbors this was the first time for them, also. They seem to have mostly gone away but there are a few hanging around.
Why not make friends with your rat? You can name him "Mr. Jingles", and maybe teach him how to do some tricks. Or, sing the following every night, loud as you can:
Ben, the two of us need look no more... we both found what we were looking for.
Oh wait. I forgot the rats chewed Michael Jacksons face off when they found out he is a sick pedophile freak of nature.
So, on second thought, don't sing any MJ tunes to your rats. They will probably get mad.
But you could still name your rat "Mr. Jingles".
Glue trap, accept no substitute. Just be sure to attach it to something so they don't drag it away. You can staple it in the middle of a big piece of cardboard

Why do glue traps work so well? I know it's just a rat, but I don't like the idea of it starving to death and prefer the spring traps to just kill them instantly.
I would like to know what the benefits to glue traps are, though. At this point I'm willing to do whatever works best.
Paradox wrote:

That's what they make .45 caliber pistols for....
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN