Rate your DTV converter

Page 5 of 5

My mistake... Still, the stations located in smaller cities should be found inside one of the larger market area PDFs.
On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 08:43:35 -0700, Robert Neville wrote:

They are.

I had no problem finding the various transmitters that serve my area - some I didn't even know about. I've been "on the wire" for over 20 years but if I can find a suitable antenna this evening, that's going to change.
I had Comcast cable for years. They kept promising cable internet and the excuse they're giving today is the same one they were giving 14 years ago "We're working on installing digital lines, they're already in the next town. Check back later." They kept adding channels that nobody wanted and upping the rates so I switched to Dish Network. They have hundreds of channels that nobody wants but they rarely raise the rates.
I probably don't watch 5 hours of programming a week so it's absurd to pay for it. I'm paying for three dish boxes and I don't watch any of them. I can't name any current sitcoms or shows. When they talk about celebrities, I usually don't know who they're talking about or why I should be impressed. I need about an hour of news and weather and some Leno or Letterman, and that's about it.
My job is just about in the toilet and the company is teetering on bankruptcy, so this is the first step in cutting cost around here. Landline phone will probably be next.
-- Jack
On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 16:57:36 +0000, Jack Hunt wrote:

Would you believe, I still have a pulse-tone phone line. <g> When I moved here, the telco was charging 3X what my previous telco had, which I thought was a rip. Even small expenses like that can really add up over time.

Have you tried switching your phone to tone to see if it will dial ? Years ago my phone company was charging extra for a tone phone line. After a few years I found out it did not make any differance what you used in your house. Either kind would work. Switched all of my phones to tone. Several years later the phone company quit the surcharge for the tones (or they may just have raided the rates, I forgot what).
On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 13:53:46 -0500, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Unfortunately, they're as stubborn as I am. About a month ago, I was hooking up a dialup modem and the software was set to dial tone by default ... didn't work until I changed settings to ATDP. .
Maybe 10 years ago they attempted to get the last of us hold-outs by offering a free telephone answering service - which they claimed required a touch-tone line. I don't know if it was a case of them not knowing that phones then came with a button to switch to touch tone for negotiating automated answering systems ... or if they thought we customers didn't know.
Jim wrote:

Satellite does not have to be expensive. I have the local network package from Dish. The monthly charge is only $10. I can get the same stations with digital but the program grid with Dish is vastly superior to that with the digital remote.
---MIKE---

>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')
Jimw wrote:

That's what's good about the U.S., satellite TV is a bargain compared to cable, and it doesn't cost more in different markets. What country are you located in? In the U.S., it's cable that can be outrageously expensive. In the U.S. you can get DISH network for as little as $19.95 per month (one TV, 40 basic channels).

I think it's $5/month extra for the local channels. Direct TV is about 30, local channels included. TV or radio could be a life saver in the tornado areas.
Dean

_IF_ the "local" channels on dish are really local. Here, only the Wichita/Amarillo city feed is uplink feed; the translators that are the local weather feeds aren't available except OTA.
So, since Wichita doesn't go to severe weather coverage except for events in their local area, it's of no use whatsoever for that purpose. :(
Which is my biggest complaint with the whole folderol of replacing something that works just fine w/ what may (or then again, may not)...
In article <dabd19b4-52f3-4778-b57c-2bfe4d2a3ca6

Yeah, my satellite "local" channels come from 80 miles away, but if I could get them OTA, they would still come from 80 miles away. However, there is a NOAA station line of sight from my house. Get a weather radio with a weather alert signal, and you will never miss a tornado warning again. I picked mine up at Radio Shack about 30 years ago.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.
Ann wrote:

Interesting that in many cases the analog and digital outlined areas are pretty much equal but that there are still a lot of areas that will lose coverage. I.e. in my area, KRON 4 is going to lose (almost completely) four large counties (Marin, San Mateo, Santa Clara and Sonoma) and pick up Solano county, even though their transmitter isn't moving, and even though the outline of coverages are about the same.
On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 08:44:41 -0800, SMS wrote:

According to the map, I shouldn't have been receiving the three stations in the first place. But I live in a hilly area with an opening in that direction ... and nothing higher between here and the transmitters. That benefited me when they were broadcasting VHF, but they are switching to UHF, which doesn't deal well with hills.
I've read about some stations that have taken advantage of the switch to refine their coverage areas to reach more of their advertisers' target audience. While I would prefer not to be losing the stations, it made no economic sense to waste watts advertising to people 75 miles away.

After looking at the various maps one might conclude that the new DTV signal will generally give greater coverage. That couldn't be farther from the truth. The present analog tuner can create a watch able signal from a distance that is greater than these maps digital boundaries.
On Jan 9, 4:52�pm, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

When channels moved from Analog VHF to Digital UHF thats the problem:(
UHF stations were typically 3 or more times the power of VHF, because UHF does not propgate as well.
doesnt penetrate buildings as well. there goes the bunny ear watchers, plus the stations decided in many cases to decrease digital power.
apparently they dont care, perhaps OTA viewers are second class citizens? not as many bucks for spending to attract advertisers?
whatever the cause, people are losing channels they watched their entire life. Congress is scared of mad voters, and congresss uses the stations to get re elected.
bob casey PA is my senator

I remenber Tivax has better reception than others and a top picture, you need to find independant review of many side by side, and look for all the features you want, I am probably getting Tivax.
Us broadcast engineers bought a bunch of DTV converters that were available around here and tested them in bad locations. The Zenith DTT900 was the best of the lot as was the Insignia that Best Buy sells. This is not surprising, because they have the same circuit board, in fact, the FCC number on the bottom of the two units is the same. The RCA and Magnavox units sold at Wal-Mart were inferior in every respect. The only redeeming value of the Magnavox unit is that it has analog pass through.
Another good unit is the Channel Master DT7000. It has the added advantage of S-video output, it has a really great picture on a set with S-video input. The fringe area performance seems comparable to the Zenith DTT900.
I have the Zenith.
I also live in the fringe area and I am in the process of erecting an antenna tower.
I bought the big bertha of antennas and a good rotor.
With my old setup my reception was marginal but when I added the converter box it was worse. When I studied the signal propagation I realized that it was a problem with my antenna, hence the change.
Check out http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx
This web site will allow you to predict reception in your area.
Also if your neighbor has a tower and a rotor you might be able to bring your box to their TV and give it a test.
Good luck.
--
Roger Shoaf

If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, what does this say about the
I obtained the RCA converter early last year, before the 'B' model came out, but it works fine. By the time I received my coupons, Wal-Mart was out of the RCA units while still awash in the Magnavox units. I picked up two of the Zenith converters from the local Radio Shack. It works well too. My local station transmitter farm is about 50 miles south. I also got a new antenna from Radio Shack but have not installed it yet. Still using an older 'outdoor' V-shape antenna that's 20+ years old hanging in the attic. Too cold to go swap it out right now.

Huh? Mine expire on the day of the switch-over in Feb. I didn't realize there were different expiry dates.
Thanks
Twayne
I was not impressed by