Rate the Kilowatt drains for homes

The hot tub thread got me thinking (now I'm looking for some aspirin).

In a house what are the biggest sources of electrical consumption and in what order?

Home heating? Electric dryer? Washing machine? Water heater? Outdoor hot tub? Televisions? Computers?

Reply to
Bryan

That's a keeper

Reply to
Kathy

note that parastic loads that never turn off can combined use a lot of power. things like vcrs and satellite tv boxes

Reply to
hallerb

Great website! Thanks.

Reply to
Bryan

The cable box I used to have, used enough power to get noticeably hot. It would do this whether "on" or "off" (no measurable difference in power drain).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Climate plays a big factor, probably the largest factor in assessing utility costs for different areas of the country.

There are many additional complexities as well. In general homes in the east and Midwest (subject to brutal winters) are generally better insulated (some would say better constructed) than homes in the Pacific Northwest.

Thus, even though electricity is generally cheaper in the PNW, the over-all annual bills may be the same because of increased losses, lack of basements, running heating ducts in un-insulated crawl-spaces etc.

This is just one example. Cities like Phoenix and certain areas of Florida have extreme climates and may result in huge A/C bills during the summer.

One simple appliance table for the entire USA can be an over-simplification of the problem.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

Your Answering Machine is very high on small device list.

Reply to
John F.