Rat urine in wood furniture

Shellac is supposed to seal in any odors. It is a good finish in its own right, but is also a good layer between other coatings.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Dee" wrote in news:CQrYd.1974$U snipped-for-privacy@fe2.texas.rr.com:

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Reply to
Marina

My sister-in-law wanted me to ask for suggestions in getting the smell of stale rat urine out of wood furniture. Her parents had the furniture in storage and she's decided she wants to use it, but it smells. Any suggestions? She tried bleach (with the intention of refinishing the furniture) but it didn't help.

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Dee

Reply to
nospambob

It may be God's way of telling her this is not really good furniture to have in your home. Not a dining room table, I hope :o)

A few years back, I rescued a nice piece of furniture from a condemned house. There had been cats in the house that eliminated everywhere in the house. Had the furniture not had a thick coat of paint, I would not have taken it. Before I even put it into the car, I doused it with pure bleach.

Rat waste is really, really nasty stuff and can spread disease. BTW, how do you know what stale rat urine smells like?

Reply to
Norminn

In the case of shellac, it is not a good outdoor product. However, it can be used as a barrier and then recoated with polyurethane that is able to stand the weather. Us a spar version like Helmsman by Minwax.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

dude, wouldn't that be a magnet/a beacon for rats to converge on that furniture because it smells so homey???

Reply to
ggg

Handling the stuff or sanding it could give someone a case of something worse than the flu. How gross!

Reply to
Norminn

Deer or Fox urine works wonders at covering rat urine odor.

Reply to
Matt

Deer or Fox urine works wonders at covering rat urine odor.

Reply to
Matt

That is useful to know, although I can't imagine what rat urine smells like or why anyone would want to "cover" the smell. Kind of like having a pool full of raw sewage, and pouring in perfume so's you can take a swim.

Reply to
Norminn

Personally I would use fire, and lots of it.

Reply to
The Real Tom