Rat urine in wood furniture

My sister-in-law wanted me to ask for suggestions in getting the smell of stale rat urine out of wood furniture. Her parents had the furniture in storage and she's decided she wants to use it, but it smells. Any suggestions? She tried bleach (with the intention of refinishing the furniture) but it didn't help.
Thanks for any advice.

Shellac is supposed to seal in any odors. It is a good finish in its own right, but is also a good layer between other coatings.
Dewaxed shellac if water based finish is topcoat.

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
Dee wrote:

It may be God's way of telling her this is not really good furniture to have in your home. Not a dining room table, I hope :o)
A few years back, I rescued a nice piece of furniture from a condemned house. There had been cats in the house that eliminated everywhere in the house. Had the furniture not had a thick coat of paint, I would not have taken it. Before I even put it into the car, I doused it with pure bleach.
Rat waste is really, really nasty stuff and can spread disease. BTW, how do you know what stale rat urine smells like?
<< It may be God's way of telling her this is not really good furniture to have in your home. Not a dining room table, I hope :o) >>
No kidding. :-) Well I got some more details. I was pleased to learn they're wood plant stands that will be used on a patio. (I think I'd just buy new ones.) Thanks for the suggestions of the shellac and (more) bleach. I'll pass it along.

In the case of shellac, it is not a good outdoor product. However, it can be used as a barrier and then recoated with polyurethane that is able to stand the weather. Us a spar version like Helmsman by Minwax.
Dee wrote:

dude, wouldn't that be a magnet/a beacon for rats to converge on that furniture because it smells so homey???
<< dude, wouldn't that be a magnet/a beacon for rats to converge on that furniture because it smells so homey??? >>
LOL! One would think. If it were mine, it'd have been kindling by now.
Dee wrote:

Handling the stuff or sanding it could give someone a case of something worse than the flu. How gross!
Deer or Fox urine works wonders at covering rat urine odor.
Deer or Fox urine works wonders at covering rat urine odor.
Matt wrote:

That is useful to know, although I can't imagine what rat urine smells like or why anyone would want to "cover" the smell. Kind of like having a pool full of raw sewage, and pouring in perfume so's you can take a swim.

Personally I would use fire, and lots of it.