Rat trapping trick

Page 2 of 3
On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 12:45:09 -0500, "Robert Green"

The record "palmetto bug" (the chamber of commerce name for the American brown cockroach) is 1.5" and I think it was caught in Texas, at least that was where it was presented.
As for the giant "rat" was it a nutria? That is a big rodent that is a problem in NOLA. The biggest rats that are usually seen here are the garden variety Norway rat (fat with a fairly stubby tail) The other one that is common is the native roof rat/tree rat (or "palmetto squirrel" if you are the chamber of commerce). This is smaller with a long tail. They can go anywhere a squirrel can go and then some. They can run right up a concrete block wall and jump 10 feet to the next building, land on that wall and keep running. That is the one we see most here in Florida.
http://gfretwell.com/wildlife/rattus%20rattus.jpg

Yeah, those Floridians tried that "palmetto bug" stuff on me. I said "that's a damn COCKROACH!"

I don't think so. These looked like your common garden variety Norwegian brown rat - just very well fed. They were in a soup kitchen/homeless shelter and had unimpeded access to the building's dry goods storage area. The health dep't. told them fix the rat problem or get shut down.

Does the Chamber of Commerce have cute euphemisms for "alligator, hurricane and drug dealer?" (-:

Great. Super cockroaches AND super rats. At least it never snows.

Well, they *could* have been roof rats - I can't see much distinction between them and ground rats . . .
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote:

BTW, up north they call the big roaches "water bugs". Yeah, right...
--

dadiOH
____________________________

What? No "water squirrel?" (-:

I always thought water bugs were black and shiny beetles unrelated to cockroaches which I thought were always dark brown. Once again it's off to Google . . .
You're right. It's called an Oriental cockroach.
http://www.asktheexterminator.com/cockroach/Cockroach_Identification.shtml
As Bill the Cat would say: Gack!
-- Bobby G.

A lot of random encounters with nutria were taken to be giant rat sightings with low light and quick viewing conditions. But NOLA does have the distinction of being a gateway to many things from throughout the world that are not common to other ports or areas.
Steve

Fairly sure Formosan termites did, don't know about fire ants.
Steve
Robert Green wrote:

While visiting a client in Rapid City, SD, they took me over to Mt Rushmore. On the way, we passed a roadside zoo. The client told an interesting story:
It seems the roadside zoo has a lion. About once a month the lion gets out of his pen and sits on the side of the highway watching the cars pass by. Freaked-out tourists jam the emergency service with calls and the local radio stations put out a "Lion Alert!"
Presently the lion's owner confronts the lion, telling him to get back inside, and the lion reluctantly sulks back to his pen.
The "Lion Alert" is canceled.

Must have been a male lion. FWIW, they are mostly only a danger to lion cubs sired by another male or a nomadic male trying to horn in on their pride. Otherwise, it's the females that do that hunting and killing, but the males that get fed first and then mostly sleep, screw and roar. You have to pay the males a surcharge to kill tourists. It's just not in their job description and the Lion's Union pays close attention to excursions.
-- Bobby G.
dadiOH wrote:

And their politicians often say: "I deny the allegations and I damn the allegators!"
On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:14:54 -0500, "Robert Green"

A roof rat has a lot longer tail. They also are more on the gray side with a white belly.
On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 12:45:09 -0500, "Robert Green"

You would have to mention that goddamn program......
Just this past weekend I went to the local bar and grill and was enjoying a good dinner, when I looked at the tv on the wall and see that "Billy the Exterminator" guy grabbing a rat by the tail from on top of a light fixture. I almost puked right there on the table. Just then the waitress came over and asks me if everything is ok. I said "NO". She asked what was wrong, when I told her that the food was good, but if she did not change the tv program, that I was gonna vomit all over the place and would never come back. She asked what I'd like to see on the tv, I said "*anything* except disgusting rats".
She immediately changed the channel to some basketball game, and came back and asked me if that was ok. I thanked her and handed her a tip. I told her "Rats are just some of he most disgusting things on earth, and I sure the hell dont want to have to see them when I'm eating dinner"! She agreed with me and said that the tv is always on and most of the time no one pays attention to the programs. I grinned and said "just leave it on a sports channel and you'll be pretty safe". She laughed.

Oh, I can think of some other things I've seen around dinner time more offensive than rats. There's some animal planet show where they cut open huge pythons, lions and other animals. Mike Rowe crawling through the San Francisco sewers on "Dirty Jobs" was about the worst I can recall. Rats, roaches that got down the back of his shirt, unknown things slithering in the waste water, piles of turds (some orange in color leading the sewer worker to exclaim "steady diet of Cheetos"), etc. When I see something like that, I thank God that people were created with all sorts of talents. If I had to maintain city sewers, they wouldn't be maintained.
My journalism prof was fired from a job as managing editor on a newspaper because he ran a picture on page 1 of the morning edition of a fireman yanking a giant python out of a toilet. The publisher thought it was in very poor taste for a morning daily newspaper, as did about a thousand readers.

I was watching some History Channel special on WWII in the Pacific and they were showing full color movies of rotting Japanese corpses in various states of decay and destruction. It was breakfast time, too.
Billy's carelessness and lack of proper precautions remind me of Steve Irwin, the Croc Hunter. You always knew it was going to end badly for Irwin. I get the same feeling with Billy. My MD told me that if even if you aren't allergic to bees to begin with, you can become so severely allergic after a serious attack (Billy's had a few already) that you can die if you get stung by a lot of bees and don't have an epi pen handy.
-- Bobby G.
On 2/28/2012 12:30 AM, Robert Green wrote: ...
and here's what happens if you try to shoot racoons in your hav-a-hart
>http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/2012/02/27/20120227iowa-man-shot-trying-to-shoot-raccoon.html ?
On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 08:15:17 -0700, chaniarts

>http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/2012/02/27/20120227iowa-man-shot-trying-to-shoot-raccoon.html ?
Wasn't his day. I'd like to know what kind of trap he's using that will reverse a 22 bullet at point blank. I'll bet there was something hard *behind* that trap.
I've never had a ricochet with my pellet gun, but then there isn't a lot of power left once it goes through a skull.
Jim
On 2/27/2012 11:22 AM, snipped-for-privacy@shootemup.com wrote:

Well darn, I thought pro basketball players are just some of the most disgusting things on earth. ^_^
http://www.dennisrodman.com /
TDD
On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 11:39:58 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Democrats.
http://www.whitehous.gov /
On 2/28/2012 12:57 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

You messed up the link, you misspelled whitehouse, you left off the "e" on the end. ^_^
TDD
On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 13:36:58 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Good point. Democrats would never have figured that out.

On 2/28/2012 6:35 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Oh come on, Democrats aren't stupid. Evil, demented, vile, bizarre and megalomaniacal but not stupid. I love my Democrat friends and cousins, they're almost as entertaining as little children. ^_^
TDD
On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 00:42:55 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Evil and stupid aren't exclusive. You seem to even think they're human. <amazed look>