Rat trapping trick

Courtesy of A&E's "Billy the Exterminator" (what does bug killing have to do with the "arts"?)

He was hired to kill rats in a Louisiana soup kitchen. The situation was SO bad that giant cockroaches were eating the peanut butter off the traps before the rats could even get to them. His solution was to put glue traps for the roaches on either side of the rat traps and then to screw a drywall screw right above the rat trap which he smeared with peanut butter. The roaches apparently can't climb out on the screw to reach the bait. The rats avoid the glue traps but have to stand on the trap treadle to get the PB. SNAP! I smiled when I saw that he used just what I do to trap squirrels - a family sized jar of peanut butter. He also wraps the trap treadle in bologna

Next day there were dozens of rats in the traps flanked by even more cockroaches stuck in the glue traps. I don't know what you N'Owlin'ers feed them, but the rats were as big as squirrels and the cockroaches the size of mice. He ended up with a trashbag FULL of rats.

I've seen lots of rats in my time but these suckers were ENORMOUS. I remember going behind a local supermarket late at night looking for cardboard boxes when I was moving. As I drove up to the dock, there were dozens of pairs of tiny little rat eyes reflected in my headlights, looking at me. I decided I'd get boxes somewhere else. And shop for food somewhere else.

Now he's fighting bees in short sleeves, attaching something I've never seen before (a bee box) to a hole above the front door where they're getting into the house. He's gotten stung so badly he's fallen off the ladder. It may not be art, but I guess it's entertaining! (-:

When I had a bee problem, I used a leather jacket, two pairs of pants (stiff new blue jeans and sweat pants over them), and a "bee hat" I made with some Fiberglas screening and an old ball cap. I still got stung, but I could tell by all the torn-off stingers I found on the outermost layers I wore on top of it all that I would have been stung a dozen times or more without it. If I had to do it again, I'd get a Tyvek bee suit. They also had an interesting portable sprayer that looked a little like a leaf blower they used to blow eugenol into a bee-infested dead tree. If I ever have another serious bee problem, I might modify a leaf blower to do the same.

While Billy wasn't wearing a bee suit, in the background of one of the shots showing him pulling this huge hive out of the foyer ceiling you could see a cameraman suited up from head to toe in a bee suit. At least someone on the set had a brain. On a later episode they used half a bee suit (upper) only. That made them half-wits instead of witless! The bees very quickly figured out Billy's fashion faux pas and stung the living daylights out of him from the waist down.

Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

You dont need all of that to handle bees if you do it the right way. Just dust them with Sevin dust. You can blow it right on them and it doesnt bother them. The bees will take it into the hive and kill the whole hive in a couple of days.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

The first rat I ever saw was when I was a little kid. It was a dead one in some woods, a true giant. For YEARS I talked about the size of that sucker. Then I saw an opossum.

Reply to
dadiOH

I'm guessing that professional exterminators need to show their clients faster progress than that. For home use, it sounds just fine. Personally, my feeling is that if you're getting close enough to dust them, you're doing it wrong. (-:

How do you apply the dust?

I wonder if they've studied the attack profile of bees. They seem to go for the face and head first. It seemed to take them a while to go for the legs of the guys wearing the half bee suits. I know once they've stung you, they release a chemical scent that acts as a homing beacon for the other bees. There should be some chemical that you can smear on a "strawman" dummy to make them sting that instead of the person doing the removal.

I learned why smoke mellows bees out - they go into a 'save the honey' mode because they think it's a forest fire and they overload themselves with honey so much they can barely fly, let alone sting. There's a lot of programming in those little bee brains.

In one house they drilled into the ceiling and drained two buckets of honey from an enormous hive. The entrace to the hive was a white fascia board that had been stained black by the comings and goings of thousands of bees.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

"Robert Green" wrote in news:ji0q11$a5$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Like this:

Doug Miller

If only I had some firecrackers. I wonder if I can use some blanks, a pistol and the condom method to inject the powder into a wall cavity? Load a length of PVC pipe with Sevin and use an air compressor attached to one end to drive it out?

The last bee problem I had was solved with 4 or 5 cans worth of Raid Wasp and Hornet killer fired into the hole right under the roof where they were flying in and out faster then jets out of JFK. Even those damn bees came after me and I was 15 feet or more away from them. I guess they know if there's trouble and they see a human around, it's a safe bet the human's the cause. (-: I'm just not sure the bees I've had trouble with would just sit there and take it if I dusted them with Sevin. They seem to sting people just because.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

How big was it?

At least you haven't run into a capybara- [have you?]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

The record "palmetto bug" (the chamber of commerce name for the American brown cockroach) is 1.5" and I think it was caught in Texas, at least that was where it was presented.

As for the giant "rat" was it a nutria? That is a big rodent that is a problem in NOLA. The biggest rats that are usually seen here are the garden variety Norway rat (fat with a fairly stubby tail) The other one that is common is the native roof rat/tree rat (or "palmetto squirrel" if you are the chamber of commerce). This is smaller with a long tail. They can go anywhere a squirrel can go and then some. They can run right up a concrete block wall and jump 10 feet to the next building, land on that wall and keep running. That is the one we see most here in Florida.

gfretwell

A few years ago, I trapped a 17-pound opossum who was depleting the outside-cats food supply. My son had a vet appointment for an ailing kitty, so I accompanied him, opossum in tow.

When I walked in, I asked if they could clean the teeth of my pet opossum. This request caused not as much confusion as you might expect inasmuch as the vet crew was familiar with me.

Only the two vets and one assistant had ever been this close to a opossum. The other five folks had only seen pictures.

Everyone gathered 'round the critter. He hissed.

"How cute!" said one of the (female) techs.

He hissed again and bared his teeth.

"Look at his itty-bitty teeth!" said another (female) tech.

"I have know opossums," said one of the vets. "Nasty creatures."

Everybody thanked me for a Jack Hannah moment. Mr (or Miss) Opossum was relocated to the vicinity of my local city councilman's house.

Reply to
HeyBub

The most effective, and probably most dangerous, is throwing a cup of gasoline on the nest. I didn't do that, but watched the critters fall straight to the ground, no flying, no swarming, DEAD, straight to the ground. Then, watched as the nest was scooped up, and burnt.

Reply to
Robert Macy

that is the method i use around here. Sometimes applying it with the one gallon pump sprayer.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Rat traps that are hung inverted, so that the rat has to reach up to the bait work very well. They can be fastened to any surface, and work best if they can not spin. I have caught trap smart rats like this. Put the trap as high as you think they can reach, so they have to get up on their toes to reach. They will grab the trip bar for stability.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Last year I trapped a racoon that was eating my cat food and had ripped open a bag of dog food that was in the garage. We assume he was getting in through the cat door in the garage.

Even though I only saw the one, I had rented the trap for a week, so I put it back out the next night after animal control relocated the racoon and returned the trap to me.

Later that evening I delivered the neighbor's very unhappy cat to his front door, still in the trap. He laughed. The neighbor, that is.

The cat bolted out of the cage as soon as I had to door half way open and hid in a back room for a full day.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Last year I trapped a racoon that was eating my cat food and had ripped open a bag of dog food that was in the garage. We assume he was getting in through the cat door in the garage.

Even though I only saw the one, I had rented the trap for a week, so I put it back out the next night after animal control relocated the racoon and returned the trap to me.

Later that evening I delivered the neighbor's very unhappy cat to his front door, still in the trap. He laughed. The neighbor, that is.

The cat bolted out of the cage as soon as I had to door half way open and hid in a back room for a full day.

*****

I caught my own rotund dog in my trap. I had it set for squirrels, and I guess she liked peanut butter. She didn't like it, as it was not enough room to turn around. She wasn't in there long, luckily. Now when it's out, she looks at it, then looks at me, then looks at it like, "Don't worry. I'm not going to do that again."

It was a bit of work to open the door with her fat butt in the way.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I "catch" a possum in my trash cans pretty frequently. I just let them go. They aren't hurting anything. I was trying to trap a cat with a big live trap. I got 3 raccoons and a couple possums. One of the possums just started living in the trap, even sleeping there with the door open. I gave the trap back to my neighbor.

Reply to
gfretwell

Reply to
Robert Green

Yeah, those Floridians tried that "palmetto bug" stuff on me. I said "that's a damn COCKROACH!"

I don't think so. These looked like your common garden variety Norwegian brown rat - just very well fed. They were in a soup kitchen/homeless shelter and had unimpeded access to the building's dry goods storage area. The health dep't. told them fix the rat problem or get shut down.

Does the Chamber of Commerce have cute euphemisms for "alligator, hurricane and drug dealer?" (-:

Great. Super cockroaches AND super rats. At least it never snows.

Well, they *could* have been roof rats - I can't see much distinction between them and ground rats . . .

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

BTW, up north they call the big roaches "water bugs". Yeah, right...

Reply to
dadiOH

What? No "water squirrel?" (-:

I always thought water bugs were black and shiny beetles unrelated to cockroaches which I thought were always dark brown. Once again it's off to Google . . .

You're right. It's called an Oriental cockroach.

As Bill the Cat would say: Gack!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

A roof rat has a lot longer tail. They also are more on the gray side with a white belly.

Reply to
gfretwell