Rat trap: Snapped on my finger today (yellow plastic paddle trigger is too sensitive)

Page 3 of 3
On Tue, 21 May 2013 02:45:35 -0500, victor3410086.2 wrote:

It didn't kill me, but the nail is about to fall off ... :)

I've heard and witnessed that *if* you drill a hole in the nail at the site of the injury; the hole seaping relieves pressure of the bruise and the nail may not fall off - just have the small hole slowly migrate out to the end as the nail grows.
On Tue, 21 May 2013 16:14:55 -0700, Robert Macy wrote:

I've done that before.
The nail gets all purple with blood, and then you scratch a hole in the center with a paper clip (or whatever).
The nail is very soft, so, it punctures quite easily. Then the very dark red blood comes out easily to relieve the pressure.

DDD-

in the center with a paper clip (or whatever). The nail is very soft, so, it punctures quite easily. Then the very dark red blood comes out easily to relieve the pressure. <<<<
If you actually did this before..why not this time? Or are you merely relating information that you've read?
I've actually BTDT a number of time for others & myself. The best way is to "burn" through with heated tip of a paper clip wire. The heated tip burns through (might need to re-heat once or twice) quite easily.
The liquid blood will instantly cool the heated wire thus preventing a burn to the underlying tissue. Drilling with a drill motor is asking for permanent injury to the tissue below.
I'm sure scratching your way through isn't as easy as you make it sound.
BTW... the nail doesn't get all purple with blood... the bleed is beneath the nail. The blood is trapped between the finger tissue and the nail, hence the pain due to pressure.
I performed my first "burn through" in August 1984 around the time of the LA Olympics
On Wed, 22 May 2013 00:58:24 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:

So there are three methods, one of which we both deprecate: 1. Drilling (to me, this is fraught with issues) 2. Scratching (for me, this works fine, & causes no pain) 3. Burning (personally, I've never tried it, but you have)
So, we're in violent agreement on the 1st, and we have our own methods for the 2nd and 3rd.
Scratching a nail clean through turns out to be trivially easy, as it's really all very soft stuff. Try it if you think it's too difficult. You'll be amazed at how easy it is. There's absolutely no risk of burning too!
YMMV.