Range Vent?

I am considering replacing our electric range with a gas one. I see that some folks have vents over theirs and am wondering if that is just for dampness and smell or if there is a need to vent a gas byproduct? Is it mandatory that I have one and why (it sure seems like gas stoves were around a long time before these came along).
Thanks again.
Ralph D. wrote:

Nothing to do with the gas part, other than under a few conditions the gas range will give off a little more heat than an electric one will. I have mine mainly to dump excess heat and moisture during the summer. It is seldom on during the winter.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Not mandatory at all. I have one and only use it when we are cooking something with a heavy odor, or want to get rid of the steam from a pot, etc. Not to worry about the gas by products.

Mercy! Now *that* was a fast reply!!!
Thank you.

I find using a vent full time when using the gas oven or stovetop burners really reduces grit, soot, and grease in the kitchen and adjacent rooms. The windows and ceiling are especially affected. A hood, as long as it vents outdoors, is also really effective for reducing odors of cooked food.