Range problem

I have a Jenn-Air downdraft electric stove. I posted earlier asking about the element arcing and blowing up (thanks for all the replies). I ordered the replacement element but when I installed it, nothing. What could the problem be now????

thanks

Reply to
edee_em

Just the obvious. Have you checked the fuse?

Reply to
Jack Hammer

When it melted did it blow a fuse at that point, if it did from high load maybe some wiring took a hit. I rewired mine after maybe the same issue, its not hard

Reply to
ransley

Logic says that there is a problem upstream from the element plug-in. Damage could have been done to wiring, switches, even connections in the 240 V receptacle (house wiring). Cut the breaker off and do some serious sleuthing. Use an Ohmmeter if you have one. If you don't, Radio Shack in your city will have an inexpensive one that will work fine for what you need to do. In particular, as any old time mechanic will tell you, "never assume the new part you just got is any good...make damned sure it is". In this case the ohmmeter would confirm the part viability with a reading of 12-14 ohms or so. If you can safely plug your meter into the element plug-in, do so and turn on the breaker. Voltage? Confirms bad element. No voltage? Check for input voltage at switch. Then check item by item down the line and the fault should show up. If procedures like this make you feel uneasy, call an appliance repair shop.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

The circuit breaker did not trip, other parts of the stove work fine. Is there a fuse on the stove that I should look at?

Just the obvious. Have you checked the fuse?

Reply to
Edee em

Sorry, I meant circuit breaker.

Reply to