Range of wireless X10 camera -- Chicken coop PIX

I recently made a chicken coop in my shed
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/07_Chicken
I have a bunch of x10 equipment that we have not been able to use. Specifically I have their wireless cameras and the receiver.
What I would like to do is to install the camera in the shed, the receiver in the basement, connect it to my linux box, and make a live webpage about those chicken with the webcam.
I own a website for kids www.algebra.com, and a live chicken cam would be quite complementary.
My main questions are:
1) The camera will be about 15 yards away from the receiver, separated by the shed walls, house wall, and basement wall. Is that too far for their camera to transmit images?
With a USB cable extender, I may be able to place the receiver to a more advantageous location if necessary.
2) Is there linux software that can grap images off x10 camera.
I can write perl scripts and such if necessary.
thanks
Does it not use the X-10 system to send the signals? That means they go though the power lines and should work well over that distance.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

I think that my cameras are radio base.d

FYI X-10 uses both Power lines and RF to send signals. The cameras don't use the power line to send any information other then to turn them on and off.
Remove NoSpam to reply, Thanks
Thanks. I was not sure of that and had never really looking into it, however it does make sense.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Ignoramus2016 (ignoramus2016@NOSPAM.2016.invalid) wrote: : ... : 1) The camera will be about 15 yards away from the receiver, separated : by the shed walls, house wall, and basement wall. Is that too far for : their camera to transmit images? : : With a USB cable extender, I may be able to place the receiver to a : more advantageous location if necessary. : : 2) Is there linux software that can grap images off x10 camera.
I must have a different version than you do. My cameras transmit to a receiver that outputs through both coax and RCA jacks. I did have it on a LINUX system about 2 1/2 years ago, I just used a generic capture card and drivers. I wish I could remember what I used but it wasn't difficult to get working at all. I vaguely remember going to tucows (www.tucows.com) or www.icepick.com to get some pointers. The software I used would do it on demand, I believe, at the time anyhow, icepick.com had it rigged to a doorbell and upon seeing the button pressed he would take a snapshot with the cam above the door. I just scripted it and had it grab a snapshot, ran it through mogrify to add timestamps to it and move it to my web area.
As for the distance, I am doing it at about 10 yards without much of a problem, however, my phone and linksys box sometimes cause ghosting of the images.
: : I can write perl scripts and such if necessary. : : thanks : : i
--

-davec

Must be some damn smart chickens if you ask me.
Look at that one reading the newspaper!
--
use hotmail com for any email replies

On 30 Jul 2003 14:14:12 GMT, Ignoramus2016

Unless you have a different model than any I have seen, that isn't a webcam, it's a video camera with composite out... You'll need linux drivers for something like a "Dazzle" analog/digital AV converter.
The low light usability on the one I have is lousy, and the range is nothing to write home about unless you like bad news.
Mike-
If you're not confused, you're not trying hard enough. ----------------------------------------------------
Please note - Due to the intense volume of spam, we have installed site-wide spam filters at catherders.com. If email from you bounces, try non-HTML, non-encoded, non-attachments.
Todd Hannemann wrote:

I think I've found a Linux Redneck. I knew they existed.