Range Hood Wiring

I just bought a new over the range microwave. The old range hood is hard wired, the new microwave is plug in. I was just wondering on what my options are. I need to know what to do with the hard wire that i will disconnect from the range hood.
Cheers
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 13:25:21 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

One option is to have an electrician examine what you need, and he/she will then will know what too do.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

Put a receptacle on it, of course.
Visit the electrical department at your nearest hardware store or home center, and buy an "old work" box. Cut an appropriately sized and shaped hole in the wall for the box, pull the cable out through that hole and insert it in the box, mount the box in the wall, and mount a receptacle in the box.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
The existing hood is probably on a lighting circuit, with other lights. The new microwave will require a dedicated circuit. Typically you will install an outlet, either flush or surface, in the cabinet above the microwave. The microwave will have the cord and plug coming off the top right side of the unit. You cut a hole through the bottom of the cabinet and pull the cord into the cabinet and plug it in

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I bought a female plug to go on the end of the wire and plugged the microwave into it and let it hang in the wall. I did not want a box in the cabinet above the microwave as that just seems dumb. The way I did it you see no wiring at all just like with the range hood and I did not cut the cord to the microwave. Joe

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
@bogus.com> wrote:

Not as dumb as leaving exposed live contacts inside the wall.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
No I am talking about putting an end like the end of an extension cord (a good heavy duty one) on the wire that went to the range hood and plugging the new microwave into it. What is wrong with that? Joe
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
It's still considered a splice or joint and can't be done without a box and cords can't be run through partitions, also the NEC states that equipment must be installed as per instructions. If the cord was intended to go out the back into the wall, it would not be coming off the top of the microwave. Essentially what you did looks fine, appears to work fine, but is considered illegal and dangerous by the folks that write the electric code, who have some experience with this type of Rube Goldberg wiring
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Electrical code violation. Put a box in the cabinet.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
OK Option1) Drill a hole in the cabinet above the microwave and let the cord come threw the bottom of it in a place where can goods and other groceries are stored and frequently used and replaced. wire would be constantly subjected to having something accidentally sat on it or plug accidentally bumped. Option2) Place a UL listed plug on the end of the home wiring and plug the microwave solidly into it. The plug will be in the hollow space in the wall behind the microwave. In this location it will be the same as option one but just hidden inside the wall in a nice safe location where it will never be bumped, touched, or even seen by anyone. You are telling me Option one is the better, safer, less likely to cause a problem one? Joe

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Actually, BOTH options are illegal here in Calgary. You can't put an outlet inside of enclosed cabinet.
If your microwave has a normal plug, put an electrical box BELOW the cabinet where the plug can reach. If the cord is long enough and you have empty space above the cabinets, you could put the box there.
If your microwave is meant for direct wiring, the put a hole in the wall behind the microwave an pull the electrical wire from the wall into the junction box of the microwave (or a box put into the wall behind the microwave).
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
message

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
message

Is that what they really do up there? Doesn't this look like hell? I guess you could try to route the cord so it's less noticeable, but with excess cord, being in a grease prone area subject to heat, etc, this sounds like a very bad idea.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
@bogus.com> wrote:

Option 3) a properly installed receptacle mounted in a box in the wall.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.