Range elements not working on low settings

Help! I have a smooth top electric range, and all of the surface elements decided to stop working on the low setting. They all work on the high settings, but not low. Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?

P.S.: The range is a Kenmore Elite, with convection oven, about 8-10 years old. Not sure of the model number

Reply to
Mary M.

No, but if you can find us a circuit schematic someplace online for that model, we could see what they all have in common.

Reply to
trader4

It may be a blown breaker on one of the 120V inputs to the range. Just a guess, but throw the double circuit breaker at the power panel for the stove to "Off", and then throw it back to "On", and let us know what happens if anything. The fact that all the LOW postions are bad means it has to be something common to the whole stove, and the input power lines are suspect. It could also possible be an open neutral line, but that seems less likely.

Reply to
hrhofmann

did they all stop working AT ABOUT THE SAME TIME, or was it one by one over a longer period of time?

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Those breakers are double and connected. If one leg opens, so does the other. Plus, if one side was open, you would not get any heat, certainly not high heat, because they are 240V. They modulate the heat by turning the 240V power on and off.

Reply to
trader4

t-working-o...

Yes, for the newer stoves, but we don't know how old the stove is.

Reply to
hrhofmann

t-working-o...

Sometimes the breaker opens one side but does not cause the other side to open, I've seen it happen more than once in 77 years.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried throwing the breaker, and it didn't work. Do you have any other suggestions?

Reply to
Mary M

OK -Sorry that didn't make any difference.

Now, we need a make and model number for the stove if you want further ideas.

Reply to
hrhofmann